1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Ssd raid 0 performance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raiden, 18 Sep 2010.

1. Raiden

Raiden Portuguese reviewer

So as some may know i got 5 Ssd and i have been testing them , they are Kingston Now v + and one is from the V series , i got some results of the 4 kingston V+ Raid 0 and i want your opinions if this results are Okay !:)

Test setup:

I7 920 d0 (No overclocking)
    Biostar T-power x58
    Mushkin Copperhead Pc-3 12800 (only 2 gb used )
    Antec Tpq 1000 watts
    4 kingston 64 gb Now v+ series
    Powercolor 5850
    Zotac gt 240

Now the results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This result is realy weird because even 1 disk can be better :shrug:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what do you think?

For a Raid0 setup of 4 ssd is it normal or is the result bad?:confused:

2. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Despite not knowing the specs for these off the top of my head, 99.9999% you're being bandwidth limited by using the on board controller...

...you could take 1 from the array & get much the same read (if it were possible to remove one & a half then it'd probably be the same as well) & probably the same write speeds.

Just the problem that the on board disk controllers were designed for HDDs which, whilst potentially having a high burst speed, average much slower & so the current models aren't capable of running that many SSDs.

if you've not done so already, you 'may' get slightly better results using the intel RST drivers (from their site), but it's not going to make the controller itself capable of something it's not.

Oh, & obviously the drives are what they are... Well, despite getting lower sequential writes in AS SSD (since SFs don't perform well with compressed data), with a decent raid controller (which obviously helps but doesn't turn one thing into another), my score was somewhere in the mid 800s overall for 4 50/60GB V2s.

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Kingston SSDs are still fail :(

4. Raiden

Raiden Portuguese reviewer

Well yes the 4 ssd are a bit limited by bandwith , but i cant install the Rst , i donwload from the Intel website , i go to instal and the folowing message is displayed " The sistem hasnt the minimum requirements to install" :shrug:

Im a bit confused now..

The onboard controlers really suck but i can aford now a decent raid card wich are expensive , i will be testing with 3 ssd to check it out ..

5. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Didn't quite want to phrase it that way, but they certainly have their limitations - sequential r/ws not being everything... ...hence referring to my AS SSD score using decent drives that perform badly using that as a benchmark.

...still i had advised on here at least once or twice that, whilst they are an okay budget option, they won't perform as well as the better drives.

The problem is that it's unfortunately, having gone for a budget option, unlikely that the OP would want to spend more than the same money again getting a decent raid card so that, whilst not making them better SSDs, at least is getting the best out of them.

You'd posted whilst i was typing...

Not quite sure why the RST drivers wouldn't work as you're using an ich10r controller which is one of the one's it's designed for... How strange...

Oh, & don't over b/m them as, whilst they 'should' recover over time, there's no point in making them slower for a bit for the sake of it by making too many of the cells needing cleaning...

Last edited: 18 Sep 2010