1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Standing Desk Recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spraduke, 25 Oct 2023.

1. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

My wife has been suffering from a bad back recently and has suggested that we look at getting an adjustable/standing desk for the home office. It's good time to think about this as were mid process of swapping the home office and my youngest's room around (to give him more space) so needed to agree on a new desk setup anyway.

I've always considered standing desks to be a bit gimmicky so have paid zero attention to them. What brands or models would people recommend looking at. My main criteria would be that the cable management is good so it doesnt become a rats nest or pull/crimp cables as it goes up/down. The more "wife friendly" the better, wood topped would be preferable to black steel but we may need to compromise on this depending on prices!

Thanks

2. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

There are so many different options out there. I have always used Flexispots at work, and they are great - there are usually some good deals available on them with voucher codes, etc. such as https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/flexispot-e5-with-bamboo-desktop-120x60cm-4222165

Depending on how adventurous you are - you can buy just the frames and add your own worktop to them to match your decor (I made one out of some old kitchen worktop I had leftover - worked surprisingly well!).

I am currently using the one from Costco, as it was on offer, and I wanted something I could write notes on with a board marker :D Its quite often cheaper than what its currently listed on their site for: https://www.costco.co.uk/Furniture-...er-Adjustable-Height-Tech-Desk-White/p/307527

Good Luck!

Spraduke likes this.
  3. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Another vote for Flexispot. My OH has an E7 with bamboo top.

The motors are quiet and very smooth, and it has a memory function (for 4 heights), so once you've stored the sit/stand heights you literally press the relevant button to adjust it, no need to hold down or remember what height works. Plus it has a handy USB port on the controller for charging things. The bamboo top also looks and feels really nice.

There's not much in the way of cable management on the E7 though (outside protecting the integrated cabling for the motors and controls). I solved that with stick on cable clips. Never got round to mounting a 4-gang on the underside, so the power leads all trail to the floor at the min, but that's never been a problem, and nothing's ever snagged. It's also worth being aware that the separate drawer flexispot sell doesn't actually fit under a 60cm depth top, unless you offset the top, because the crossbar holding the motors and cables is quite bulky. That drawer's now attached to my desk, and is as well built as the E7.

Always check their site direct too, Flexispot frequently have offers and voucher codes on their own site. eg if you click into the E7 at the min, there's a voucher code at the top of the page for an extra £120 off.

Spraduke likes this.
  4. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Thanks, gives some initial models to look into.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have an Ikea SKARSTA manual (hand-crank) sit-stand desk. It's pretty good, though it does wobble a little at full extension. Looks like the modern equivalent in the same size is the TROTTEN, £220 - a hair more expensive than when I bought mine, at £195 (in 2015, mind you.)

yuusou and Spraduke like this.
  6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I've got 2x the same. And same about the wobble, though a heavy top helps with the wobble (until it doesn't). I've got one of their dining table tops, I can't remember which.

I'm considering getting an electric drill and converting it to electrically powered.

Spraduke likes this.