1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling start pump with PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Armitage, 7 Mar 2002.

1. Armitage

Armitage What's a Dremel?

I know this has been discussed before, I just can't seem to be able to find the correct information in a way I understand (call me an idiot then...).

Anybody got any advice on what I have to do to have my Eheim pump started automatically at the same time when the PC powers up?

Thank you for any advice given...

Cheers!

2. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

The simplist way to do this is to run the power for the pump through a relay that is powered from the PSU.

The best option is to have a seperate switch in the front of your case so that you can turn your pump on then start your system and then let it run for a minute after to ensure good heat disipation. This could also be done with a relay switch if you have a self powered fan controller.

3. M1CUZ

M1CUZ What's a Dremel?

You dont really need to start the water cooling rig b4 you power up the system, even if the water cooling doesn't reach peak performance for the first 20 seconds or so the cpu still has a big block of copper (or your chosen waterblock material) to heat up before you even worry about the water having to dissipate any heat from the water block. It is similar to the fact that you can run a cpu for several minutes with a decent heatsink without the fan running, as you still have a big block of metal to dissipate the heat.

The way i have my pump setup is exactly as Titch suggested first, i have it wired to a mains rated relay that has a 12v coil, so when the systems power supply turns on the relay switches and kicks in the pump, you may have to drill a hold in the side of your psu to source the power but that shouldn't be a problem. Just as a safety note if you do decide to use a relay of other such device, i may suggest mounting it in a sealed plastic box, to remove the chance of accidentally hitting it with your hand at any point!! :eek: That wouldn't be nice ;) Anyway hope that helped, any querries post away!

4. Wyzzord

Wyzzord What's a Dremel?

5. Armitage

Armitage What's a Dremel?

yep, I think that pretty much covers it all!

Thanks a bunch for the directions!

Cheers...

Tags: