1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Started as a mousemat mod...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Pflumingo, 21 Oct 2002.

1. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

This started as a Mousemat mod, but is now just a piece of artwork on my desk, Kind of cool though, Thought I might have to post this in the disaster mods, but it turned out pretty cool.

Was trying to make a base for my mousemat, and I screwed up one side (now the bottom side) pretty bad, No fear, Took the chance to practice my etching skilz, and make a lightup sign...

This (albeit a bit dirty still from the plexi dust) is with the lights...
    [​IMG]

and this is with the lights off...
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]

It is USB powered... has 5 red led's in the base, and lights up pretty good really... Lemme know what you think...

2. Toric

Toric What's a Dremel?

looks really cool, if you're just gonig to use it for show, maybe think about geting some different color LEDs and then using a small curcuit to slowly change the color of the sign over time. Or, just have some kind of rotary switch so you can pick what color the sign is. :D

3. delphia

delphia What's a Dremel?

make a bracket so that you can attach it to your monitor, so if you go to one of those big honkin lans your pc has a realy good way to identify itself

4. Pflumingo

As far as the color changing, I had already started the circuit, but I couldn't get my hands on the LED's I needed quite yet, but the next one (an xmas gift for someone) is going to use the rainbow fade effect (ala bit article..)

I really kind of like the simplicity of this one, it takes up almost no space, and was a good test subject. The angle aluminum on the bottom allows it to sit anywhere, and if I wanted to attach it to my monitor or PC I could just use some Hook and loop (velcro)

The next one will be a dolphin with blue, aqua, white and purple led's althernating to make the waves move... good idea?

5. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Looks really nice Pflumingo, now all you need is to sand down the edges! :lol: Also nice one for using Red and not Blue LEDs :clap:

6. bust0aster

bust0aster What's a Dremel?

i really like this, in fact i think i wanna do somthing like this with my newest etch. is that aluminum somthing i can buy in the store or did you bend/cut it yourself?

7. belier

belier What's a Dremel?

That WOULD make a rather nice lighted window . . .

:rock: :rock: :rock:

8. bust0aster

ya, that would make a nice window. now somthing like this would be great for a xmas gift, especially if its personalized for whoever your giving it to. it would be cool to make somthing like this thats powered by a battery and mount the plexi in a frame thats modded with a switch on the side. from a distance all it looks like off is a frame of nothing and then on it lights up. i like the idea of practicing my modding by making gifts for other people. for instance this year im practicing my engraving and making personalized keychains for every member of my family.

[edit: also forgot to mention the idea i had for making a lit analog clock with some plexi and a clock kit from a craft store]

9. Pflumingo

The edges still need a little sanding, but they have been routered down with a roundover bit, so they glow as well, need to take a block to it though, to get them straightened out a bit. I was thinking the same thing about using this for a window, especially if you were to etch something in the window, light that red, and using a contrasting color inside the case... would look pretty cool.

The aluminum I used was angle stock aluminum from Home depot, I had some scrap after I mounted the 15" LCD monitor to the roof of my Durango... (more to come on that one):)

10. bust0aster

hopefully you mounted that on the inside of the roof of the durango as i cannot imagine why you would mount one on the outside. :D and thanks for telling me about the aluminum. i might wanna pick some of that up.

11. Sky Hacker

Sky Hacker What's a Dremel?

cool! what tool did you use to do that? :eeek: :D :lol:

12. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

my advice, buy the 8' lenths, once you have that stuff, you use it for everything... I keep at least 2 eight-footers in my garage at all times...lol

13. bust0aster

what do you cut that stuff with? will a dremel suffice?

14. Pflumingo

1. LCD is mounted INSIDE, angled for the kids to watch movies, It's like a Big Screen for them in the back seat to watch movies etc.
    2. I used my dremel to make the etch, and the routering, I used the 1/8 roundover Dremel bit and the round guide thingy that lets you keep the depth constant (Want the routing table, just haven't gotten it yet)
    3. I use that stuff ALL THE TIME, and it is GREAT, Light weight and strong as hell
    4. Dremel works, but is slower than a hacksaw and more expensive as it eats cutoff bits, I use a hacksaw...

15. delphia

delphia What's a Dremel?

makes me think about adding a small illuminated crosshair to my microsoft frestyle joypad......

16. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

nice mod man. u can still use the concept for a mouse pad.

17. Pflumingo

It is in the works, but with a few different colors... Luckily I have a 4' x 6' piece of that lexan... I can still make a mistake or two...