1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stealth moddded fans - The new way

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Koolvin, 5 Sep 2001.

1. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

discuss

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

cunning plan but wouldn't it have been better to bend it so that it was parrallel to the case ... in a step manner ;)

but ...........

Velcro ... pure geneii (dont you just hate the english langauge)

3. SuperScrubber

SuperScrubber Mad Chemist.....buwahahaa

Like the idea m8 :D
    Although I must say I prefer something a little more solid if I'm honest...............

4. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

Sceptical?

Ok peeps here goes...

The YY cube has very limited space and this is the only real effective way of doing it.

Using my previous method (glueing) you have less surface area attatching the fan on which is less secure than this method.

When changing a fan you can do is easily without hassle.

The glueing method is very brittle and if u tighten the nuts too much it breaks... this method there is no chance in that.

What if you glue your bolts wrong? missalignment? with this method you can re-allign.

ok....

Imaging your going to a LAn and packaging your box you accidently push your glued grill down? what happens the whole fan assembly will hand what you gonna do? dissasmble your machine and spend 2 hours preperaing and making it right maybee 3 if you have to take all components out? even still you might not get it right 1st time.

what if some kid pushes it down when your at a lan?

so you see, its more stronger, reliable, effective, simpler and neater than using the old glue method.

5. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

Nice Job

Having gone to a lot of LANs I have to agree the stealth option for me is a bit too fragile. That's why up to now I have only admired other people’s efforts.

I'm sure travelling all the way to i8 from Guernsey it would have broken if done the old way. This new idea will enable me the option to remove the fans and assemble on site.

As to the brackets, its as you see it really and how good your skills are. Personally its what works for you and the finish you want to achieve?

6. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

I did the glue style stealth fan mod on my black midi tower, and it's glued in place so solidly, that you can tug and pull at the fan and all it does is bend the top metal panel :D

7. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

cool! but with the b0rg you wont be able to as its like 1mm away from the mb...

here is an old pic so u can see what i mean (the new one is even lower - so lower I cant use a lower grill like i have done here)

[​IMG]

8. Profezzor BoB

Profezzor BoB I'm a cactus, please have sex with me.

Velcro also attaches to sheep quite well.

I'm still working on my old case, it'll be quite raped once it's done, and yes, I will post pictures :)
    getting my plexi this saturday, need molding, have leds, lights + other fun stuff.
    need to pick up paint etc.

9. Darkhorse

Darkhorse What's a Dremel?

Nice mod Koolvin.

Velcro is actually pretty strong. The glue holding it on is more likely to give way than the velcro when placed under vertical load.

Good to see an original mod, rather than a variation on a theme. :)

10. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

Thanks for your continued support guys.

11. slau

slau What's a Dremel?

cool idea - modular modding :)

12. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

I have a borg also, and although I've got a 120 hole above the processor, I've actually never stuck a fan in there. I've found the presence of the hole alone helps with cooling imensely though, and you can feel a draught coming out of the hole even with no fan there - thanks to the cpu pushing air twoards it and the positive pressure in the mobo compartment caused by my nice panaflo intake fan :)

I'm not sure what fan to put in the top - do I got for a 120x25 YS Tech (cheap, loud and powerful) a Sunon 120 low volume (more expensive, a tad quieter, less air) or a JMC 120x25 from CaseEtc (sleeve bearing, very quiet, reasonable air, expensive due to shipping)

13. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

u drilled screw holes for the fan?

/looks up the fan from casetc!

Tags: Add Tags