1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding stealthed audigy

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ToM, 27 Mar 2002.

1. Colin Morey

Colin Morey What's a Dremel?

Out of interest, Coolhand, what paint did you use to match it to your case? got any recommendations? I assume you sanded before, but did you prime it with anything first?

2. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

can i get a chromed finish to the paint then? seeings that im polishing the whole pc?

frrrrrrrt. :blush:

excuse me!

3. Dr_kazza

Dr_kazza What's a Dremel?

Yes [/hangsheadinshame]

Coolhand > Dr kazza

4. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

coolhand, would you be able to give a short account on how you painted the live drive, and wether there is anything in particular i should watch out for...

5. Cool Hand

Cool Hand King of the park

theres not much to it actually...i used krylon spray paint...which is engineered for plastic and idiot proof to used...they even claim on the can no drips, no runs, etc....

i jsut poped it off and painted it...no sanding, priming or anything....and i did everything else the same way with awesome results...

6. Colin Morey

Colin Morey What's a Dremel?

Hmm, Krylon, never heard of it, (but then i am in the UK),.. i suppose it was labelled "brushed aluminium" or something like that?

I've just take delivery of, (well, been to pick up), my new case, it's a Coolermaster ATC 201, and i can't believe just how frigging light it is.

Anyone know what type of plastic the audigy drive is? mainly so i can match the type of paint to the plastic.

7. therider

therider What's a Dremel?

The plastic type is probably stamped on the back of the pannel. Its probably ABS.

Dont think it matters too much when spaying it.

ride

8. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

krylon rules. i used the flat black barbecue paint stuff on my drive bezels in the old case, 1 coat, no drips, no wrinkles, and it dried in like 20 minutes ... box was only apart for like 2 hours.

the bulk of the old box was done in normal flat black krylon, and krylon clearcoat. 1 coat each. no sanding, no priming. took me all of 3 hours.

ya im gh3tt0.

9. Cool Hand

exactialy...i forgot to mention how quick it dry's

10. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

I'm currently planning the flip down door for my Live Drive, you are right the hinge will be a bit tricky, however not impossible. The slide out mechanism will be a bit tighter, however mine will not incorporate that.

I have just cut and bent aluminum for the inside faschia to fill the void behind the face cover. The plan it to fashion a pin type hinge from the sides of the original blank. The trick is to place it in the right vertical posistion so that it swings cleanly, clearing the bottom edge of the face cover, yet not too high that it blocks access to the live drives plugs and connectors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Thorfinn

Thorfinn What's a Dremel?

12. Cool Hand

ViperZ: i figured you would just machine a new one out of some billet or something...gona be cool either way...

13. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

:lol: :D :lol: Heheh, Cool Hand you out did me there buddy! That would certainly be sweet! However I do want the knobs and dials to be hidden for I'm going for the minamalist look, still, thats one heck of an idea :idea:

14. Cool Hand

if you did machine a new faceplate...you could integrate the flip up cover so that you lift it up, and slide it into a slot on top....

15. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

Cool Hand, all that and also micro-engrave the text back on as well :lol: That would be killer, however best to do that for an Audigy than my Plat 5.1 :cries:

16. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

if you want to do a mechanical slider, set the faceplate and have it hindged sort of like the trunk of a car where the guides slide into the metal below. then hinge a thin piece of alu or something on the faceplate and run that piece all the way to the back of the live drive. I dont know what the live drive looks like on the back, but im sure therees some way to secure it to the alu and there you go. As you flip up the fascia the plate slieds in and the livedrive does too, and as you pull it out the live drive comes too. Might be a little tight so some sanding of the livedrives faceplate to make i a bit smaller mabye 1mm or 2mm would help.

17. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

i have a pic of what i wanna do

i have a little diagram of what im planning on doing to stealth an audigy. Could i email it to someone and they could host it?

18. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

Unlucky----That mod contest you are talking about---nice prizes but....ROFL its like Microsoft sponsoring a mod contest. I mean they want you to show up in person at one of their locations so they can "inspect" your mods...Sounds more like a "show up so we can steal your ideas" contest.

19. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

20. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

k

Viper, check your mail