1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steam introduces Play Next feature

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 18 May 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

[/QUOTE]The feature uses machine learning to analyse what you've played in the past and figure out exactly what you might want to pay next. [/QUOTE]

Was that a deliberate error?

Last edited: 18 May 2020
  3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Not just what you've played in the past, this is taking advantage of the vast amount of data Valve has gathered on global usage habits: game installed (not just through steam), play times, play sequencing, actions within games (both through Steam API usage and through logging on 'trophies' and the like), active/engagement times, store visits and sales/non-sales, anything within the 'steam community' (forums, use of the built-in game capture service, etc), any online matchmaking and comms through the Steam API, the same cross-site browser tracking everyone else also does (cookies, web-bugs, etc), and so on.

4. wardogz

wardogz What's a Dremel?

Another completely USELESS feature, designed only to benefit Steam and game developers, prompting you to buy games you neither want or need. It's nothing more than an advertising aid.

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I saw it yesterday and I thought it was only showing you games you already owned, so wasn't pushing me to buy anything :)

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

The only good thing I could find with this feature is the button to turn it off.

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Something not guaranteed with new Steam bloatware 'features'.
    e.g. the advertising bar permanently lodged at the top of the awful new library interface (which also manages to take the sole function of the library - an A to Z list of games you own - and relegate it to a tiny little sidebar).

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I've finally made the switch to trying to use Gog galaxy as my all in one client so only open steam when something goes wrong/I want to have a look at a new feature I read about as per this thread :D

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Click the cog besides What's New, select only show product updates not other types of events and news (while it doesn't get rid of that garbage completely it reduces it to pretty much just patch notes).

Click add shelf in the middle, select all games from the dropdown on the left.

No, don't ask me why those things aren't done by default, but easy enough to fix.

perplekks45 likes this.
  10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Steam only gets opened to install things, otherwise I just launch the .exes directly. 'Launchers' can **** right off.
    Still a big pointless non-hideable bar of stuff that shouldn't be in a list of purchases in the first place.

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Agreed. But you can also tweak it to only show you updates for games you actually have an interest in. Because we all know we don't care about news about a large portion of the games in our libraries. Just right-click on any news item and click on "Show less from ...", repeat until the item disappears. You will now no longer see any news regarding this title.

Still, you can't get rid of the bar for some reason only Gabe and God know.

Tags: Add Tags