1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steam Spy to shut over new privacy settings

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 11 Apr 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

It was really done because weebs were embarrassed by their game libraries.

3. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Naw, as someone with some embarassing titles in my library(japanophilic and otherwise), I want more granularity. All-or-nothing is too brute-force, and it lets your friends know you have something to hide. They may not know if I'm ashamed of Clicker Heroes, Nekopara, or *shudder* Call of Duty, but they know I'm ashamed of SOMETHING. And when a holiday rolls around, they can't see my wishlist to buy me things.

Hiding playtime is a weak substitute for granularity, designed to let people pretend they don't play embarrassing titles without offering the option to actually hide those titles. "Yeah, Hunie Cam Studio was a gag gift, I didn't actually play it for 903 hours. What do you mean I should unhide my playtime?"

(I will neither confirm nor deny the presence of any of the above-named titles in my library.)

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Unless someone is stupid enough to use their real name on steam or link to it on some stalker site like facebook no one will ever know who you are, so what is there to be embarrassed about?

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The overlap of "friends online" and "friends in meatspace" is generally nonzero.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

If you are close enough to someone in real life to tell them that your steam account is StupidPun69 or whatever you will also be close enough to know how they will react, so no danger there.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I now declare this the Most Embarrassing Thing in your Steam Library thread.

Mine is probably... Postal 2? I don't even remember buying it, but it's there.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I own Dark Souls II and its Season Pass, only for the developer to drop a significantly improved version of the game a couple months after I had bought it on steam (and yes, I own the improved version as well), what an embarrassing waste of money.

9. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

House Party, some how for 20 hours of 'play' time... even thoung I only originally bought it as a 2 fingers (pardon the lewd pun) to censorship.

10. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Ah, so this will by steamleft is no more too.

Tags: Add Tags