1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Steel Series

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by seamatt, 12 Feb 2012.

1. seamatt

seamatt PC Building Joey

I just thought I would share my experience with Steel Series with my fellow gaming enthusiasts.

We own several bits of their kit, and we bought the Steel Series WOW gaming mouse. I was not too happy with it from the start and preferred my old G9 but was adamant that for that price I was going to learn to like it.

The first fault was that all the silver paint started to flake off, and it started to turn green in colour. Annoying but the product was still functional. Next it started to randomly disconnect so I raised a support ticket with Steel Series.

They asked for a scan of the receipt which I gave them and then packaged it up with the RMA number and posted it to Denmark.

I left it a couple of weeks and then started asking for an update. This is where the real problems began. It would take days before I would get a response, then it was in text speak and needed google to decipher some of the replies from their support staff.

They advised me that they could not locate my package and could I send them a scan of my postage receipt. Again I scanned and sent this and waited a couple of days before asking for another update. I was told they needed the postal receipt!

I politely pointed them to the earlier post within the ticket where the scan was clearly visible. A few days pass and I chase it again, this time I get this response.

" I cannot do anything until the warehouse verifies a package arriving with your RMA # on it.
    Kthxbye.
    JW"

I reply explaining that I have attached the postal receipt and would like a manager to chase up what is going on. I also asked what Kthxbye meant.

The next day I get an email saying I have a response and my ticket is closed. I can not log onto the ticket site, as they have disabled my account. I can not reply to the ticked or the feedback form they sent me as it is also disabled. The last response I had was.....

"Sorry, your interactions have been detected as fraudulent.
    Have a nice day.
    JW"

As you can imagine I am furious, as the only 'fraudulent' activity is by them not honouring the warranty of their poor product. I have no way of contacting them so guess I have lost the mouse.

I have gone out and bought a Razer product now, and will never ever give them a penny ever again.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

That sucks! I will never stray from Logitech again, I realised that when I bought a Roccat mouse. POS!

3. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Surely theres some sort of management you can get through to??

4. seamatt

seamatt PC Building Joey

I wish there was Greg. They have no phone lines, and can only be contacted via their web form. I am going to start sending a couple of guesswork emails (forename.surname etc combos) to their listed CEO's tonight, but I get the impression that the ones I have found are US based, but fingers crossed can pass something to their European counterparts.

I am at the point now where I have replaced the product with something that is so much better, and would not use it if it came back repaired, but am really aggrieved with their bad products and bad service.

Thanks for reading guys, I know it was a bit of a rant but if it stops one person wasting cash on their products I will sleep better.

5. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I have a cyborg rat 3.

Its been great, when my 1st button microswitch went and it was still in warranty, they sent me a new one without fuss.

I would contact trading standards.

6. E1TSY

E1TSY A cog in the bit-tech machine

Good Morning Seamatt

Is there a way i can send you a DM? I have sent you a friend request.

I will be able to assist you, i am also based in the UK

Kindest Regards

7. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

+1 to logitech or Razor :thumb:

8. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I guess it's a case of never deal with a company who you can't speak to a real person if something goes wrong (unless of course it's a reputable company who's known to have a solid returns process).

9. E1TSY

E1TSY A cog in the bit-tech machine

Post number 6 is my attempt to try and make contact with him in order to resolve :D

10. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Their staff really said "Kthxbye"?? Do they hire 12 year olds?!

Was considering buying a Qck mousepad from them, will look elsewhere now..

11. Wira

Wira Spoderman

I have a steelseries headset . . .

gone faultless for 5 years.

12. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Razor and Saitek here. Have used Saitek keyboards (the first Eclipse, on my 3rd one) for 7 years and Razor for 5 - Still on the same deathadder. Can only recommend those in future. Sorry to hear about your issues!

13. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Qustion, how did u find this thread? :eyebrow:

14. seamatt

seamatt PC Building Joey

Thanks everyone for the replies, and yes they did say kthxbye lol

E1TSY has sent me an email, and I have forwarded the post office receipt, so fingers crossed he can sort their support department out.

I will keep you all updated.

15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I've seen it happen before, maybe some companies have some sort of automated alert system for when people mention their products on this kind of website and they have employees check it out.

...Or maybe we have Steelseries employees as actual users :idea:

16. fev

fev Industry Fallout

I saw it and flagged to E1TSY as I know him in RL... community helping community, no bots here!

17. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Shame to see this as I had absolutely outstanding support when my SteelSeries headset had a problem last year.

18. wodgah

wodgah What's a Dremel?

I found steel series and razer to both have horrible customer service and warranty, i purchased a lachesis on release and when the mouse cursor skipped arounbd my scree constantly they told me an update would fix this and they were releasing the update in 3-4 weeks and therefore would not refund me. I will not buy razer again, i had a similar experience with a steel series headset 6 years ago with them refusing to replace a faulty one. Logitech however is a totally different story , amazing customer service couldnt recommend them enough , corsair is another that has been amazing with RMA.