1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Stigma with Austrian Eagle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Constructacon, 3 Apr 2009.

1. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

I'm looking to get my first tattoo and basically my question is this... "Is there any social stigma attached to the Austrian Eagle?"

[​IMG]

[Wall of text]
    My dad emigrated emigrated from Austria to Australia when he was young with his family and I've recently been thinking about how as our family grows more Australian (and the older generation is dying) we're thinking less about where we've come from. I've always liked the look of the eagle and want to get put it on my body to remind my of my Father's side of the family. (Please note I will be getting a suitably Australian tattoo for the other half of my family).

It might seem strange that I'm asking this question, but the exact thing I'm asking about has happened recently in Australia. The Union Jack (5 star constelation on our flag) was once held in high regard and point of national pride. Recently it has been plastered over all and sunder especially by people of a less racially tolerant nature. Consequently there is a slight stigma attached to a once bloved national symbol. What can you do right? Now I'm guessing that the Eagle isn't being used as a symbol for those purporting racial clensing (because the chains represent liberty from the Nazi party) but I thought I'd check on a European based forum as you guys would better able to answer my question than someone down here on the antipodes.
    [/Wall of text]

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

interesting in the hammer and scythe

how is austria linked to the sssr?

3. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I think that points towards austria (or any other country using it in there flag) beeing a "working mans" state. The broken chains could be a symbol for beeing free from something, maybe pointing towards independence after the second world war and the nazi regime.

edit: Seems that I am right with my thoughts about the symbolism. Linky

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Actually that eagle is a newer version of the Habsburg Coat of Arms from 1605:

[​IMG].

It was used first. It's a nice Eagle too. I'm trying to find out when it changed and what the hammer and sickle represent. Notice the broken chains on the legs of the new one. It might be some representation of being released or independence.

Coat of Arms is a small hobby of mine. Heraldry and it's development is pretty unknown in the US.

john

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's derived from the imperial eagle of rome isn't it? Long standing symbol of the Roman empire, was widely used during the middle ages in the area of the Holy "Roman" Empire which is mainly Germany and surrounding regions. It's been used on many flags from the area such as Prussia.

The only thing I'd say is some people might mistake it for a Nazi symbol

6. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Have a look at the wiki article I linked to. They explain it pretty good there.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yep, that's about the only possible stigma I could think of off the top of my head - if you like it, go for it tbh. :)

8. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Thanks for the input guys. I went and got my first quote on it yesterday. It looks like it's going to cost about $700. o_O