1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still having problems with clicking noises from hdd.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Jokkocze, 11 Apr 2006.

1. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

Still having problems with my hdd. (Read old thread here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=108804 )
    The clicking sound just wont get better! I've RMA'd the hdd. I've RMA'd the mobo. But it still aint working! What else can it be? It's starting get on my nerves!

2. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

What, you've RMA'd the HDD that was making clicking sounds? And you now have a new one thats doing the same thing? :eyebrow: Have you tried a new cable, the drive in another pc, could it just be the way its mounted ?

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Agree with Fr4nk, if it's not mounted strangely, it'll probably be your PSU (although as unlikely as that sounds). Try whipping a PSU from somewhere else and sticking it in that rig. :)

Really weird problem though, it must be said. I've never seen anything like it...

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

If you've isolated everything else, it has to be either the PSU or the mounting. Try running it outside the case to check if it still makes the noise there.

5. Jokkocze

The hdd is mounted with 4 rubbergrommeted screws and I've tried lots of cables. Also tried to use another psu, that I just plugged into the disc, ant nothing else. The noise were still there.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Weird... must be your case or something... Try running it outside the case.

7. LogicalJester

LogicalJester What's a Dremel?

Hey, have you solved this problem yet?

I have just listened to your recording... I don't think the frequency of the sound could possibly come from just a HDD spinning. These spin at a minimum of 5000rpm and you can quite clearly hear that that sound is at a much lower frequency than this.

It could be causing some vibration which is causing something else to create the noise. Or it could be coming from a fan (much more likely in my opinion).

you said that the sound stopped when you unplugged the hdd. This could be because you have a cable from the hdd which is touching a fan, when you unplug it, it moves away from the fan and the noise goes away.

If this all fails, send a digi photo of your setup, so that we can see what is going on!!

8. Jokkocze

There's no cable touching no fan, and that wouldnt make the computer run slow >_>

9. Jokkocze

ok, determined that it's got to be the PSU, (No idea tho, dont know anyone who's willing to loan me a PSU) but I bought mine from a store that no longer exist. What should I do? RMA to antec or what?

10. Jokkocze

Its getting worse! It's making beep'ish noises now! Not very loud, but they're there!

11. Golden-1

Golden-1 Minimodder

i dont see any way that a PSU could make a harddrive a) noisy, and b) Increase access times.

What voltages are you getting on the 5, 12, -5 and -12 rails?

12. Jokkocze

Aint really sure, and I cant look atm, since my multimeter is acting weird.

But what else can it be? RMA'd hdd and mobo, and the hdd works great in other computers with a8n-sli deluxe's