Stonehenge built this way?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gooey_GUI, 1 Sep 2008.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i want to have ago at that, standing next to a power lifter and tell him that you'd just shifted a 20 tonne block of concret that morning, and will doing the same again that afternoon, all via muscle power.

2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I'd rather rock a raised block down as close to the two verticle blocks as i can, and then dig around the base of the center support a bit, and wet the exposed dirt under the central support, to sink the horizontal block slightly. This can be repeated over and over until the horizontal block is lowered onto the two verticle blocks, so then the central support can be completely removed, and the ground can be smoothed over.

This way everything happens slowly. If you were to spin the block onto the two verticle blocks, you'd have to make some massive guides for that big horizontal block as you spin it. Remember that when he spins the blocks, they are basically balancing on the pivot rock, and there is only a very small gap between the block and the ground, so there is nowhere for the block to fall. It would also be very fiddly and a potential disaster when you are trying to rock & pivot the central block on top of the two verticle pieces.

As for digging out the two holes for the two verticle blocks, well that can actually be done with the central block raised only say 1 meter high for example!

But yeah, which ever way you approach it, allthough it's possible to get it done without incident, they all still kinda sound like a potential darwin award :hehe:

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Didn't you see him move the barn? That was across a muddy field.

4. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

STONEHENGE RELOADED?

that makes me rage.

5. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

Yup. He also has easy access to large planks or pieces of concrete to make a firm pivot point. I'm not saying that Stonehenge builders couldn't do it, just that soft ground would present a challenge.

Yeah, I can see a lot of people killing themselves trying this no matter what way it's handled. Still pretty cool, though.

6. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I think this guy plays "fantastic contraptions"...

7. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Amazing, really cool, soo soo simple, but genius!

8. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Why not just dig two deep holes.. "dump" the pillars in them, and then roll the top bit over it and dig all the surrounding earth away, that way there would be no need to lift the top bit ;)

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Probably easier to get them to the top than dig them out TBH.