1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Strange display issue

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by kenco_uk, 7 Mar 2012.

1. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

This is very weird but I hope someone can help.

My current gfx card has been plugged into my monitor using a single link dvi-d cable and it has been booting up fine, bios display, etc.

What I've done recently is had my old PS3 fixed. I had a spare hdmi switcher, so I bought appropriate leads to connect it all up, i.e. a hdmi lead to go from my Gainward GTX560ti Golden Sample card (which has two dvi ports and a hdmi port) to the hdmi switcher, I plugged in another hdmi lead from the PS3 to the HDMI switcher and then the output of the switcher had a HDMI to DVI-D cable plugged into it, where the dvi cable was plugged into the monitor's dvi port.

Since having that setup, I can no longer see the post/bios/windows loading screen. It's not until the gfx drivers are loaded that I get anything come up, i.e. when it hits the login screen asking for a password.

Now, this is very frustrating as I can no longer boot off a cd/dvd/usb as I won't be able to see what it's doing.

I've also tried a dvi switcher and get exactly the same results. I've also plugged in a dvi-i to vga adapter into the gfx card's dvi port and used a vga lead into the monitor and still its the same. I've updated the mobo bios and reset cmos settings to no avail. I've even tried plugging the hdmi lead and vga lead into the onboard gfx ports.

So.. before I take the frankly ludricous step of flashing the gfx card bios to attempt to fix this issue, has anyone else had this? I only have one monitor, which has worked perfectly before and continues to work okay.. it picks up the PS3's display fine in 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p - all come up fine.

I've also tried plugging the dvi cable I first had in before changing anything and it's still the same, no bios screen, etc.

Is it worth flashing the bios screen or has the gfx card suddenly fudged it's ability to display 'analogue' type signals? The only other thought I have is try a dvi-i cable (the type that can carry analogue signals as well as digita)l.

The gfx card, otherwise, works as normal. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2012
  2. kenco_uk

Hmm.. okay, i think I've sussed out the problem. It looks like, despite my using a dvi-d cable before and it working fine, I need a dvi-i cable that can carry an analogue signal. I completely unplugged/took out my gfx card and plugged the vga lead into the onboard gfx port and it displayed the bios fine. Hurrah! I then plugged my gfx card back in, not connecting it up so it was still working from the onboard gfx, still works, hurrah once more. I then plugged the dvi-d to vga adapter into the gfx card and moved the vga lead to that and it still displayed the bios... er.. what? This didn't work before, but now does! Ah well.. another hurrah. So I removed the dvi-vga adapter and plugged in the dvi-d cable, no bios display. So it's down to the dvi cable(s)/dvi switch.

Just strange how it's been fine all this while until I change something then try and revert and it still doesn't work. Huh, ah well.

3. kenco_uk

Hmm.. didn't fix it. The port on my monitor is dvi-d. I can't understand how using the same dvi cable for so long had no problems, then I change to the hdmi output and was unhappy with no bios displaying, changed back to dvi and I no longer get the bios display.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

sounds like the 560 isn't putting out until it switches res.. can you try another card? maybe the bios flash will fix it.. I'm not sure if nvflash will do a 560- but I always flash in dos.. you might be able to set new fan ramps with nibitor too (again don't know if it's supported- my 460, had to use fermi bios editor lite)

5. kenco_uk

Righto, tried another gfx card and it's still the same. When I don't have a gfx card plugged in and use the video out from the motherboard headers (i.e. using the inbuilt gfx of the i5-2500k) it displays the bios fine. As soon as I re-insert my gfx card, there's no display. I checked the bios settings while I was there and noticed that even if I set the 'Initiate this gfx display first' to pci-e, on next boot it had gone back to Auto. I also tried switching Virtu off in bios, to no effect. I'm beginning to think it may be the motherboard/bios and the way it's handling the gfx output.