1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange message prior to crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mookboy, 10 Mar 2002.

1. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Okay, basically I was just enjoying a game of Unreal Tourn' offline when my computer just crashed from nowhere. Not too strange u might say, but just before it reset itself, the screen displayed a message on a blue background with white letters that approx said (It disappeared to quick to read!) that my system was shutting down Windows to prevent damage to the computer - I also saw the words 'memory dump'. Anyone got a clue?

Athlon 1.4
    256mb ddr
    2x hdd
    hercules 2 4500 graphx
    cdrw + cdrom
    cable modem etc

:confused:

2. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

this under win2k???

most likely a memory dump, this occurs when ur system is unstable, yet seems stable in normal windoze....but when u start playing games or something that uses ur cpu loads, it will heat up and then do a memory dump when it crashes....also known as the win2k bsod....

3. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Nah, WinXP-Pro. Seems okay now. I have a nasty feeling I was playing UT whilst my cable modem was on a website, with Winamp on pause. I have a feeling that might have just made the CPU give up the ghost in that case....

4. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

u can turn off the automatic reboot on bsod on win2k so u should be able to do it with xp (took me a couple of times before i figured out that it was just bsoding when it autorebooted tho ;))
    that way u can read what has gone wrong ;)

only two ever occur on my win2k linkisdn.sys (asus driver :p) and 3dfxvs.dll (3dfx driver)

5. craig

craig What's a Dremel?

ive had this happen a couple of times on my laptop(my OS is XP pro) for no reason what so ever. the other day i had just turned it on and was surfin for a bout 10mins when it bsod me. funny thing was it was just as my mom touched the pad to move the mouse, she nearly died :eek: cus i said she had broke it, lol aint i cruel:D :D

6. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Um.... noob question, BSOD? Whuh?

7. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Blue Screen Of Death right? Doh!!!!:D

8. stewe151

stewe151 Stress Personified

i thought winxp was supposed to eleminate the bsod

9. ToM

ToM mmmm, blud

win xp is just a pretty version of win 2k, with a few lil thingies added on, not a hell of a lot of difference, and it is just basically the win xp bsod!

my pc just restarts itself when it feels like it, no bsod, no warnings, just restarts! and it only does it when i havent turned it on for a few hrs, and its running cold.

no idea what this is all about!

10. stewe151

stewe151 Stress Personified

my friends comp did the same thing. it turned out to be a registry problem. i cant remember exactly what the problems were, or how i fixed it but if i remember ill post it here

P.S. i know winxp is just a better version of the nt os but its supposed to be alot different. i didnt use win2k that long because of the freezes, so im not exactly sure.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2002
  11. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

windows 2000 = Windows NT 5
    windows XP = Windows NT 5.1

not much of a difference and stewe151... the bsod is always there ;) win2k and xp just redusce the amount of times u see it :D

12. RTT

RTT #parp

since september when i moved to XP, i havent seen a BSOD yet!

/touches wood

13. Boggy

Boggy What's a Dremel?

i have had about 3-4 of therese since i have upgraged to xp in october!
    after a restart every thing is fine!