1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Source Streaming - PS3 Media Server

Discussion in 'Software' started by drjaydee, 22 Sep 2011.

1. drjaydee

drjaydee What's a Dremel?

I've been using PS3 Media Server to stream videos around my house, it works fine for SD content, but HD content loses sink and the video judders. I thought at first it was because my network wasn't fast enough, but using wired connections instead of wi-fi hasn't solved the problem. So now I think it might be my PC hardware or the settings on PS3 MS.

I have a E7400 processor, is this not good enough to encode HD, or are there settings designed for slower processors?

Any help would be much appreciated :D

Thanks

Nick

2. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Do you have Gigabit NICs? Might need to set them manually. Also what is your switch/router set at? 10/100/1000?

3. drjaydee

at the moment the only thing i can cable in is my xbox 360, cabled at 100mbps, i would assume this is more than enough for HD though, right?

the router is set at 100, the PC is wired in at 100 too.

4. Shabing

Shabing What's a Dremel?

You can use the 360 to check if its got enough bandwidth to the streaming pc, its in the setup bit in the dashboard.
    It is strange that it judders all wired up. Sounds like the bitrate of the video is too high to play smoothly: not to go over the network, but for the hardware to actually play smoothly. I know the 360 has max video bitrates for certain codecs, cos I've had this issue myself.

5. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Try XBMC with UPNP enabled as a server. I had problems with PS3 MS and XBMC seems to work a lot better and this is over Wi-Fi.

6. drjaydee

how well does XBMC work with HD content? what format can it stream? .mkv's? thats what all my HD stuff is in

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

odd, i stream 720p MKVs fine over wifi, on an e4300. didn't change any config. it *should* work, but i can't say why it doesn't :(

8. drjaydee

downloaded and installed XBMC on my PC, very different to PS3MC, is there a way of running it in the background? as when it runs it has to be full screen

9. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

An alternative would be to offload the Transcoding of MKV's to a graphics card, that's how I do it and don't get any judder at all now. That's for HD and SD content.
    CoreAVC will do it through CUDA and an Nvidia card. Works with PS3 Media server as long as you set Avisynth/Mencoder to the top of the Transcode Video Engine list.
    Or, it may just be that you haven't set a high enough buffer size.

I had exactly the same situation as you about a year ago and it's all been fine since setting up CoreAVC properly with a 9500GT.