1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Suggest a GFX card for my rig please?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zauber, 15 Mar 2011.

1. Zauber

Zauber What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, bought a new rig from Scan, but the GFX didn't work on my or my friends pc so it got RMA'd. They tested it and it's not faulty, but they said it seems to be uncompatible with my rig.

Specs are:

1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint
    Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
    500W Corsair CMPSU-500CXUK Builder
    MSI P67A-C45, Intel P67 Express
    4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 Classic DD
    Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked
    Antec 100

Original GFX card was 1GB KFA2 GTX 560 Ti but it's been returned
    and I have £190-200 to use on a card that's similar but that'll actually work and not delay me by another 2 weeks...!

If you have any idea of a card that I can use that is nearly the same as the old one and same price and that'll work I'd really appreciate it if you helped me!

Zauber

2. Wira

Wira Spoderman

hmmm, I don't see why a gtx 560 shouldn't run on your rig.

Just get another 560, possibly from a different brand?

3. Zauber

Zauber What's a Dremel?

Yeah I keep hearing from people that it should have worked, but it didn't! It also did not work on my friend pc and his graphics card worked in mine, which proved that it was the GFX causing the problem!

I have a MSI motherboard so I might get the MSI made one instead of the KFA2 but I'm worried I'll get it and have exactly the same problem thus rendering me 1 month + with a £900 new build sitting on my floor waiting to be used!!!!!!
    :(

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

looks like you don't have enough amps on the 12v for a gtx560, minimum is 30amps. you might try a 6950, from what i read it requires 20amps so shouldn't be a problem with that psu.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2011
  5. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

As above a CX500 is a little weedy for a OC CPU and a GTX 560, may be a CX600 would be a better starting point from Scan, if the PSU is not sufficient for the card they supplied they should also cover the cost of up-grading that. There is no reason why any brand GTX 560 shouldn't work with your motherboard, thats just a fob off.

6. Zauber

Zauber What's a Dremel?

7. Deders

Deders Modder

408w from the 12v rail should be enough, just, my entire overclocked pc with 2x 160w graphics cards rarely reaches 340w (from the psu) under normal loads. When fully stressed it's only around 472w, and the Sandy bridge combo should be more efficient than mine.

If it were due to lack of power the problem wouldn't occur at boot as none of the components are running anywhere near full tilt, unless there was something wrong with the PSU. If the next graphics card doesn't work then the psu is the next place to look.

8. Zauber

Zauber What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply, would you happen to know if a Sapphire HD6950 would be compatible with the Mobo? I'm a newb builder and the thing I struggle most with is working out what works with what!

9. Deders

Deders Modder

It's very unusual for hardware to be incompatible with each other these days.

What was your friends PC that you tried the card in? Similar motherboard and PSU?

10. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

re: 6950

If you can get the Powercolor one ...it has the 6970 bios preloaded.

11. Wira

Wira Spoderman

The 6950 should definitely be compatible with your MOBO.

The 6950 has a slightly lower power consumption than the gtx 560, but it's quite a small difference. As mentioned by deders, your PSU should be ok.

12. Zauber

Zauber What's a Dremel?

Older motherboard and 1000W power supply!

13. Deders

Deders Modder

Most likely was a faulty graphics card

14. trig

trig god's little mistake

please forgive me here fellas, but on a site like this, you might want to have some clue of what you are talking about before helping someone troubleshoot their pc. so much incorrect advice on here it is stunning...and you send the person you are "helping" on a wild goose chase, which sucks...

your psu is plenty to run that rig and more. there is 34 amps on the 12 v, which is more than enough.
    I'll ask the obvious question since you are a self-admitting newbie at building, did you plug in the pci-e cables to your gpu? if not, there is a big problem...the cx 500 should have 2 6-pin or a 1 6+2 and 1 6 pin. those go into the end of the gpu. if you did that, and made sure the cables were seated into the psu and the gpu, then make sure the gpu is seated correctly into the mobo.

your mobo is compatible with the gpu. lolz

so, get whatever card is the best bang for the buck in your range. another 560 is fine. seems like kfa is a decent brand from what i've read, but hey, lexus makes a lemon here and there.

edit:if fingers is right on that powercolor, that's pretty sweet lol...but then again, it is a powercolor...

15. Deders

Deders Modder

I'm using 85% of the reading my killawatt meter gives me, which ends up suprisingly close to a couple of the more accurate psu calculators when under full load.

How do you think I got the under normal load figure?

But yeah good call on the Power connectors, sometimes we take things for granted.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2011
  16. Zauber

Zauber What's a Dremel?

Everything was connected perfectly, and everything was seated well. The GPU was tested by scan and found to be not faulty, but it did not work on either of the PC's I tried it in.

It's really ****ed up, I don't know what the hell was wrong with it. My closest guess (I got told this by some other bit tech users) would be that because the card was quite new to the market the mobo did not recognise it.

17. Deders

Deders Modder

The MB is just as new to the market but there may be a bios update available at the manufacturers website.

18. trig

yeah, i edited...misread what you posted about it lol...

well, etailers have a funny way of "testing" faulty products and suddenly they work. additionally, for them to tell you it's not compatible is laughable. it may be a bios issue, but not likely. i guess finding out more about what you mean when you say it didn't work. did anything come up? or when it tried to load windows it crashed? did the mobo beep at you?

19. Zauber

Zauber What's a Dremel?

Yes, on my pc all that came up was a Nvidia Geforce copyright page, then a black screen with A3 in the bottom right corner.

When used in my friends pc, nothing happened. There was just no signal.

The mobo did not beep, and the pc did not POST

Just.......nothing!

20. trig

what was the gpu your friend had that worked in your pc?