1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Suggest a light cheap laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Igniseus, 4 Aug 2008.

1. Igniseus

Igniseus What's a Dremel?

Forgive my noobness having never read about, or even seen a tablet PC before but what sort of features are we talking about?

And how much is the extra RAM for these things?

Cheers

2. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

tablet pc basically means you can fold the screen over the benefits are better and easier control with the touch screen. they also allow handwriting and drawing improvements. plus they look pretty cool

The Ram costs about £30 for a single 2Gb stick as this thing only has one slot.

3. Igniseus

Price is up to £410 :O

I've read the screen is not LED powered either, unless you go for the low-res version. Apprently runs extremely hot too, and has a springy keyboard.

Dont think the £160 extra over a Aspire One is worth it anymore for a tablet screen and higher-res with or without those issues :(

*sigh* Wish there was a higher res netbook out soon.....

4. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

yeah the price is fluctuating daily to be honest. as for the back light it is CCFL which is annoying but i doubt it as bad as they say in some of the reviews because they are comparing it to laptops that are £600 more or what ever and they are bound to be better.

Im not gonna get to worried about the heat i either so what if it gets a bit warm. I think they fixed the springy keyboard.

There is the Kohjinsha SX3 but that is about £600 and its import only at the min. thought its meant to be amazing plus its got a dvd-rw drive!!!! which is about 70% the size of the thing.

5. Igniseus

Wow, the Kohjinsha SX3 looks amazing.....do you know anywhere that imports them into UK? I'd be more than willing to save up for one of those beasts.

6. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Hey you can pick it up here http://dfj-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=1221

They do look amazing! would love one but not sure about keyboard layout and import tax / duty??? £590 conversion but if then get screwed for 17.5% and something like 20% duty its a bit OTT

Last edited: 17 Aug 2008
  7. Igniseus

Damn that's true, with all them taxes it would be way too expensive.

Are there any laptops for up to £700 that are any screen size but no more than 1.7KG? I've seen a couple pushing 1.9KG but with a battery were into 2KG territory which is a bit much for all my lugging around. There seems to be a gap, with nothing between the ultra cheap netbooks and the very expensive small laptops. I'd just like a higher resolution without breaking the bank or my back :(

I know the M912 kinda fits the bill, but the screen puts me off. Its fair enough if you want the tablet, but its only an added bonus for me; I dont want a sacrificed screen because of it (budget tablet screens are grainy plus the CCFL). If it was cheaper I'd go for it, it's just not worth £160+ over the Aspire One (£250) for the extra screen res which is what I'm after.

EDIT: Agreed heat is not much of an issue but "It gets rather hot under the keyboard when you use it in clamshell mode. It gets even hotter in tablet mode. Like 106 degrees Farenheit hot." 41C!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is bloody hot!

*sigh* maybe i'm just awkward....

Last edited: 17 Aug 2008
  8. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

agreed.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Have you thought about a normal tablet laptop? There're plenty of 'em going on eBay for £400 in great condition. Lenovo do an awesome one, built like a tank. :D

10. no-spam

no-spam What's a Dremel?

You can save even more by using GNU/Linux as your OS and use equivalent programmes or run windows programmes in Wine for MS based material.
    Will be faster and more stable too.

11. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Yeah but not all manufactures offer netbooks without a windows license of some kind. so you are stuck with it. e.g. the Kohjinsha SX3 and the gigabyte M912 come with windows only.

12. Igniseus

I think I'm just gonna stick with the Acer Aspire One. The battery life sucks, but it shouldn't be an issue as i'll have the charger with me at all times even if the battery lasted 10 hours. The most important thing for a netbook for me really is the keyboard, as I'm going to be doing long intensive amounts of typing on it while at Uni. The eee pc 901 or 1000 would fit the bill perfectly if not for the keyboard (not tried it but majority find it bad for long use, which is enough to risk a purchase without trying it myself). The M912 also would be ideal, but for me personally its rather expensive for what you get over other netbooks, and more importantly, the keyboard is said to be also a little awkward for sustained typing too. Sounds kinda silly but I do all sorts of programming so I cant be doing with not typing efficiently.

The good thing about for going for a £240 netbook is that because its pretty cheap, it wouldn't be unrealistic for me to get a new netbook 6 months down the line if by then there were all sorts of new improved and more powerful netbooks (dual-core atom and higher resolution for starters). If I grabbed something for £400-800 I wouldn't want to replace it all too quickly, nor could afford to.

13. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Ive been considering this for a good while myself, but i hadn't see the gigabyte model, i have to say that thing looks pretty good.

I think you may be a little confused here the 1000 has a 10.2" screen and a keyboard that is 92% standard size and most reviewers have commented on how easy it is to use

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

shall be getting my paws on a gigabyte M912 asap

15. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Yeah i'm still getting mine had my preorder in for over a month now.

Will let you all know what i think of it when ive had a play