1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Suggest a solution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sinizterguy, 1 May 2007.

1. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

I have a Netgear RangeMax DG834PN router to connect to the internet.

Connecting to this via LAN is 1 desktop computer.
    Via wireless is
    - 1 XP laptop (soon to be Vista)
    - 1 OS X Mac
    - 1 Belkin Universal Range Extender + XBox 360
    - 1 PS3

I am considering a Linux server for this network.

It would have to do traffic shaping and prioritising - so that browsing and VOIP stuff will have higher preference than torrent downloading etc. As well as a squid proxy.

I would also like this one to be the DHCP server so that the Squid can be used transparently.

I would also like networking between all the computers so that I can access shared folders on the desktop and Mac from my laptop as well as the shared folder on the desktop from my Mac. Basically complete networking with shared folders on the different PCs accessible to all the others.

I might also use the server for shared storage for backups and such. And maybe run torrents on this rather than one of the laptops.

This is the current setup I would like.

Please suggest the Linux distro to use and different programs I might need to use for these different things.

Also can I use the Linux server for DHCP instead of the router itself while still allowing it to connect to the internet and provide wireless access ?

Tags: