1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Suggested TVs for Console Gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phalanx, 23 Feb 2011.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a TV that I can wallmount that is decent for an XBOX360.

My basic idea is to move the XBOX360 to my PC/Gaming room away from the main TV and have it wallmounted on a swivel mount so I can pack it flat against the wall, then swing it out and around 90 degrees to face the seats on the side when it is needed.

Anyone able to recommend me a TV plus wallmount system? I'm looking for a TV of about 28-32" in size.

It doesn't get played too often, but often enough to warrant its own setup :)

2. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

How much are you willing to spend? Looking for the cheapest, but good quality TV you can is a good idea as you say it won't get a huge amount of use.

My best advice would be to take a look at HDTVTest and possibly TrustedReviews (though they haven't reviewed any smaller sets for quite a while now).

3. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I'd go with something like a cheap and cheerful sony 32" EX301. Its a basic sony tv, 720p (xbox only manages 720, so any more is a wast) and goes for around the £300 mark. get it from somewhere like M&S or John Lewis as they do 5 yr warrenty. I know for a fact that M&S will mount the tv for you if you buy one of their mounts too. Can't remember how much they'll charge you for that though.

Just bear in mind that places like M&S or JL often have offers and sometimes do the much better EX401 (1080p) for the same price, or they did when i worked at M&S) so it might be best to keep your eyes pealed.

4. Strudul

Strudul ~

Panasonic and Sony make excellent TVs, see if you can find a good deal on them.

5. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Thanks for the tips guys, I shall go a-hunting :)

6. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

John Lewis 5 year warranty is amazing. Replaced my toshiba 42" with a 47" Sony and a 20" Sony. I priced matched the toshiba down from £2000 to £1650 and when I came to chose a replacement they gave me an allowance of £2000. Then they had an offer if you spent £2000 or more you get a free 20" Sony. So I got 2 tv's for a steal.

7. checkup

checkup What's a Dremel?

look also a VIzio, great quality and generally low prices.

8. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

Last edited: 24 Feb 2011
  9. lamboman

Don't know how much you know about TVs, but generally...LCD screens offer better contrast but don't look as natural (from what I've looked at...I hate LCDs, virtually all of them don't look good in comparison to the plasma counterparts at similar prices). So you might want to go into a shop and take a look (even though most TVs look crap in shops...you get the idea).

10. JY_OC_HX

JY_OC_HX Minimodder

The only problem with plasmas is image retention and even worse is image burn. Read up on these before you commence gaming!!!
    I have an LG 50PJ550 that was £550 at currys (i shudder even mentioning that). But like john lewis they have an excellent warranty scheme and thats why i go.
    http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-plasma-tv-50PJ550.jsp
    The pj350 and pj550s are all superb.
    Don't listen too much to what people say the tv is capable of as contrast ratios and cdm2 are generally lies or extreme dynamic bests, and are not often achievable.
    Instead look at what your inputting and gonna watch on it, like instagib says, it doesn't matter if your tv is 1080 if you're only inputting 720.
    Good luck wadeing through the thousands of tellies. Hope you find a good one that suits

11. lamboman

JY_OC_HX: I suggested the OP take a look at plasmas because image retention is so much less of an issue than it used to be several years back. That isn't to say that it isn't there, but the chances are that you won't encounter any problems with it. Most TVs also incorporate different methods to reduce the chances of it being an issue as well.

Oh, another one here for John Lewis warranty, I completely forgot. Many years back, was an old Powermac G4 Cube. Something went, probably the power supply. After weeks of waiting for it, they didn't do anything, which rather annoyed us. But to compensate, they did replace it with a much faster Powermac G4.

TV was seemingly slightly faulty, they replaced it very quickly with no problems (were round the next day).

12. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

plasma burn in isn't really a problem any more
    in multiplayer the entire screen will change every time you die
    single player just pop open the menu if the hud's been up for more than 20 minutes

channel watermarks are the worst

13. JY_OC_HX

JY_OC_HX Minimodder

You misunderstand me. Im giving plasma the thumbs up. In a BIG way.
    I wouldn't have bought the 50pj550 if i'd've been worried about it. i was just saying he should read up on it and how to avoid it before starting to game and encountering any probs.
    I have come accross it when i came in drunk one night and decided to play some chess master on xbox live for an hour and half. Switched over to some regular late night telly (not filth) and wondered why the repeats of friends where ghosted by squares but by the time id flicked through a few channels they had dissappeared.

14. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I've had my plasma for nearly 5 years (well 4 as the first was replaced under warranty) and I've never had a problem with image burn even with day long gaming sessions. I will get retention where you see the ghost of an image for a few minutes after something has been static on screen for a while. The worst culprit is the black bars when watching a Blu-Ray. This is the bracket I use.

15. mkb

mkb Minimodder

16. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

17. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

I'd vouch for Samsung too, I bought my LCD a while ago, it was basically a bigger model of the screen MS chose for the in-store pods, and the picture over component and HDMI is awesome.

18. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I have a 32" Samsung which I will sell within the next week I think. It's 720p and has a beautiful screen and a whole host of inputs! If you are interested let me know.

I'll be selling for just under £200 I imagine.

Had it since september but I no longer need it as my flatmate got a 42" TV instead.

19. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Another vote for a Sammy LCD here. We have 3 (well, one is LED) and I love them all.

20. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

The Samsung LCDs have always impressed me.