1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Summer’s coming - have you water-cooled your PC?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

That is an awesome site - thanks for the heads up!

3. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

I've used Aqua-tuning.de in the past, expensive shipping was compensated for by getting everything I wanted from a single supplier, that and the good price they had on some of the fittings. In all the process was totally painless. I'll pop over to the UK site when I have a moment, could spell trouble for some of our native retailers.

More info on the ThreomoChill buyout for anyone interested...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224377

... including a surprise appearance by Marci :eek:

Edit:
    Aqua-t, prices look ok if nothing special - hope the £ keeps rising :). Looks like the UK misses out on some the .de sections, Benchtables, Overclocking...

Last edited: 3 Jun 2009
  4. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I read about Rob's acquisition of Thermochill a few weeks back. I was shocked when I saw his name. I used WCUK for my current loop, and not only did they have the best prices, but they also gave me free delivery, and allowed me to mess them about a bit with wanted to arrnage an order but pay a few months later. They even ordered me in a nickel coated 4870X2 block for a decent price. I would definitely recoomend them to everyone interested. The guys on the forums are also very good people, and more than willing to help with any questions.

Going to have to check out aqua-tuning.de when I get a chance. Do they do any of those bits power blocks i read about? I need one for my Rampage Extreme.

5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I don't think they do but they do the EK and MIPS versions - the MIPS one looks good. clicky

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Yeh, was just looking at a set for my RE. Two mosfet blocks, and a NB and SB would set me back about £160. Brutal. Although they do look sexy as.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but do you think I could get away with only passively cooling my SB? I plan on overclocking, so that needs to be considered.

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I'd imagine so - depends how much you're thinking of overvolting it and what the air flow is like inside the case. Definitely need a fairly beefy sink on it though. (presumably core2/i7?)

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Core 2, aye. I don't plan on overclocking to the extent that the SB voltage will need to be changed. I only plan on overvolting the CPU, NB and likely the memory, all of which except the memory is going to be water cooled.

9. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Removing bleed screw=bad, making screw low leak=good. I have 2 rads with bleed screws and they made removing the last air pockets easy when placed so the screw was facing up. I have multiple places in my loops that are bleed screws or some sort of cap, they have never leaked. It is called o-rings. Think of all the fittings people have in loops, any worry of those leaking no because they are made correctly. I would hope that they keep the bleed screw and improve it just as they claim they are with the rest of the design.

On a note of water cooling it is a great learning experience my first wc computer has ran fine for years and the loop is not very well designed. My newer computer definitely learned from the mistakes of my first one but overall I have found wc a great experience and I only wish had the money to wc all my computers.

10. Sterkenburg

Sterkenburg To mod or not to mod...

The bleed screw doesn't NEED to go, really. I mean, look at air compressors, their bleed screws hold their own under hundreds of PSI.

I've been thinking of water cooling my own rig, as it's i7 and summer is upon us, but I've always thought it would be noisy. I dunno why, that's just something I've always thought.

Tags: Add Tags