1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surely an ISP cant do this?

Discussion in 'General' started by SHAKIRALOVER, 4 Jan 2006.

1. SHAKIRALOVER

SHAKIRALOVER What's a Dremel?

Where i live in a non BT area we are only allowed to use Karoo, which is Hulls own broadband service, this is not the (MOD EDIT: PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO GET AROUND THE SWEAR FILTER) up part.

My friend lost his net connection and was told that he had a trojan, which was spaming someone elses email acount and brought down a site.

So they said get rid of your viruses and then we will reconnect you, fair enough.
    He finally got reconected yesterday, and downloaded Serenity using Bitlord, i think,

Today he trys to check his email and it says Invalid username and password when he trys to dial. So he rings the helpline which said "well get back to you", they did and said
    "did you download a film called Serenity?"
    "well were gonna send you a letter to sign"

He said that on his internet, properties/connections/setting he had a proxy turned on.

Surely its a breach to check what someone is downloading?
    Is this legit?

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Depends on the contract.

What your friend is doing is illegal and if the contract says the ISP can check up on downloads then yes they can.

If it does not say it in the contract then what the ISP is doing is illegal. However if your friend reports the ISP to trading standards, your friend will also be stuck in the law as what he is doing is also illegal.

So either way your friend loses unfortunatly.

3. FredsFriend

FredsFriend What's a Dremel?

Most ISP's try not to so that they can claim that they can't when the gov asks them to. Its a way of getting out of spending lots of money, lots if work, and customer backlash. They simply haven't implemented the technology to do so, as it is of no use to them personally. However when it is a small ISP things change a bit as they don't have to look after so many people and it is generally a captive audiance., so they aren't that worried and it is an easier task to implement. I would say that your mate doesn't have much ground to stand on as what he was doing is illegal.
    Nice film BTW

<EDIT> Dam you wonka you must be on speed to get those replys in so fast

4. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

yep my isp here in the states cut me off 3 years ago becuase they could see that on my computer there was a kazaa shared folder. Once I provided them with proof it was gone they said they would reconnect with in three days.

5. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Yarly, the ISP is providing the service and so they've got a right to check what they're sending you. Customers expect the ISP to filter out spam from their email accounts and protect them from the nasties of the interwibble, yet start getting on their high horse when the ISP notices them downloading illegal content. Hmmm...

<A88>

6. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

He's not done something illegal if he owns the film already. Personally I'd rather deal with security issues myself than have my ISP vetting my every move.

7. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Well it's very unlikely he's already got the film to be honest. And would you rather have the record/film industries trying to sue the pants off you when they find out about your illegal activity or have your ISP ask you to delete it and let the problem go no further?

<A88>

8. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

So you reckon that you should be able to do whatever you want with your connection, and if the MPAA sues your ISP, they should just suck it up and do nothing towards you? :rolleyes:

The way this usually works is that someone in America (usually the MPAA or the production house that owns the film) will be on the active torrents for their film, and they can see the IP addresses of the entire swarm (or at least the ones they're connected to, and they have good enough connections that that's likely to be a lot of users), and with IP addresses they can send an angry letter to your ISP demanding that something be done. Your ISP usually doesn't have a choice in the matter, it's either cut you off/reprimand you somehow or get sued for something that wasn't their fault (they have responsibility for everything you do on the Internet, and no comeback from you apart from disconnecting you). I doubt very much that they personally care about what you do with your connection, unless it's getting them in trouble.

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

And why would you bother downloading a film you already own?

10. dom_

dom_ --->

julianmartin is wrong anyway, it is NOT legal to download something you already own (cd's, dvd's etc)

thats like saying its ok to steal a copy from hmv because you already own a copy.

11. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

No, it's like making a copy of the movie you already have.

12. dom_

dom_ --->

making a copy and downloading a copy from someone else are totally different

it is illegal to make a copy anyway.
    check out the uk copyright, designs and patents act of 1988
    that makes even copying for personal use/backups illegal

13. ajack

ajack rox

That's a bit of an inaccurate analogy - taking a copy from hmv means people lose money, nobody loses money if you buy a copy then download another.

I know it's not legal to download something just because you have a proper copy, it's just that that analogy was flawed :)

14. dom_

dom_ --->

but... in downloading a copy rather than buying one people are missing out on money.

15. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

Different? How?

Yes, i'll plow through that right away. :hehe: Seriously, i might take a look...

What he said

Not if they already have a copy...

16. FredsFriend

FredsFriend What's a Dremel?

That was what the rather than part was about. On the illegality front i thought that there was a precedence set for fair use of material that you have bought.

17. dom_

dom_ --->

but if you want two, hence a copy and you cant legally make a copy or download one you would be purchasing one.

but instead you copy/download so someone is missing out on money.

anyway this is irrelevant.

you can not copy/dowload any cd/dvd you already own legally

end of.

18. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

Phantom losses... If i was forced to buy another copy instead of downloading it i wouldn't do it.
    end of.

I'm still curious about why you say copying is different from downloading, both will end up doing the same thing, the same way.

19. dom_

dom_ --->

its different because, its covered by different sections of the law.
    one way you are downloading information through your isp
    the other your just using your machine

anyway, tangents and all

20. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

All of which is completely irrelevant to US Citizens as long as a copy is owned by the downloader; for backup purposes, it is completely legal to create or acquire a copy. You just cant use the original and backup at the same time ;)