1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Switching to Windows 64 bit

Discussion in 'Software' started by SiR, 14 Jun 2006.

1. SiR

SiR What's a Dremel?

Hi, I use my pc mainly for gaming and finally made the switch to a 64bit CPU and was wondering weather or not to also switch from XP pro to XP 64bit edition.

What benefits would it offer, if any?

2. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

Well theoretically it would run faster, as it would fully utilise your 64-bit CPU, but there is little driver support, so there are few who choose it...

Wouldn't recommend it ;)

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Yeah, like Callum said, very limited driver support in XP 64bit

But, like you've probably have seen, there is a64bit driver repository stickied in this forum... ;) So if you do switch, head over there to find your drivers. It might help you too to descide wetter or not the switch is feasable.

But, don't expect to see lots of difference ;)

4. SiR

SiR What's a Dremel?

Cheers guys, think i'll not bother..... I've already wasted tooo much of this life buying a new improved windows that's given me nothin but headaches.... you'd think i'd learn by know :)

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

If you really want 64bit, go Linux... :D But I know, gameing...

6. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

I use it and that statement is completely false.

It may have been true over a year ago, but I have been running 64bit Windows for 12months and have drivers for every bit of hardware I have from printers and mice to graphics cards. Unless you are using any particularly unique hardware then drivers will not be an issue. This does not however mean that I recommend it.

There is very little difference in performance between 32 and 64bit versions (infact none that I notice) and as such if you are using XP Pro already then there is no point paying for something that is going to make no difference. If you didn't already have a XP Pro license then my advice based on real, current use of both OS's would be to go with the cheapest.

7. Nutty

Nutty What's a Dremel?

IMO, stay with 32-bit until Vista!

Tags: