1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Synology DS216 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 25 Apr 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That's a lot of money for a diskless 2 bay with that kind of spec. It could buy you a new Microserver and a couple of 2TB HDDs.

I understand the need to cater for people who just want a plug in and go solution, but a few minutes worth of research and maybe another 10 minutes prep could transform a Gen 8 into a 4 bay Synology box with a lot more grunt.

3. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

It has always baffled me the prices some of these things seem to be priced at historically. For what is essentially a low power CPU on a small board with a skimpy amount of memory in a small case.

I guess a lot of the value is in the software and integration side, but I would imagine that each revision is just that - a revision - rather than a rewrite.

The only advantages I've seen historically were low power and ease of setup, but now with low power CPU's and boards commonplace, I don't think that holds true now (at least not to any great extent).

Tags: Add Tags