1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards System Time Issue - Odd!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roosauce, 16 Jan 2016.

1. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Hi All,

Hoping that you can help me with a system time issue I've come across! Strange one ...

I had an Asus Maximus VI Extreme socket 1150 motherboard with a 4770k CPU. At some point I found that this PC no longer kept time.

The system would be out of date when it started. It was possible to force the time to update using the standard windows time servers. Even after that, while the system was on, the pc would sometimes drift a bit in time. Certainly turning it off and leaving it for a while would see the time drift.

The CMOS battery was replaced with no impact on the problem. I hadn't used that board for a long time and had totally forgotten about this. I also thought it might have just been a windows thing. I recently sold it to a friend for a nice price, but he's installed all the hardware and a new OS but has found this time issue!!

I feel pretty bad about it, but I don't seem to see much online around how PCs managed time and what the problem might be. There's some talk of time chips on motherboards - could this have failed??

Thanks for any advice ... I've never experienced this before or even heard of others having this problem other than CMOS batteries ...

Last edited: 16 Jan 2016
  2. rollo

rollo Modder

Can only be Bios or CMOS related. As windows gets the time from the CMOS. If the CMOS has broken you will not be able to replace it as its not a user serviceable item on any motherboard.

It could fail I guess but you would notice other issues. your base input and output is controlled by the CMOS if its dead completely you would be having bigger issues than the wrong time.

3. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

The motherboard otherwise works fine as far as we can tell. He's updating the BIOS to the latest version and I'll ask him to re-set to defaults to see if that helps ... so very strange