1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Take-Two hates second-hand sales

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Jan 2009.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Really though this is a childish comment from a company. And it really shows exactly how much effort they even put into making a game. You don't need insane amounts of money to make a sucessful game, all you need is innovation(to an extent), and polish.

2. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

Just imagine if the Car market tried to pull this rubbish off.

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

The "lifespan of AAA titles" is short because "AAA", at least on the PC, seems to be games industry shorthand for ports of console-originated adolescent drivel. Usually first-person shooters. Usually with very good graphics. Usually "balanced" for the hopeless clumsiness of a gamepad. Far Cry 2, I'm looking at you.

Gaming, like television and film, has a growing quality problem; a tendency to rely on marketing rather than gameplay to support the order books. This can be corrected by perhaps pulling back from the very large budget games in the way that some movie studios seem to be avoiding hundred-plus-million budget films on the basis that such budgets cannot be allowed to fail. This attitude promotes one-size-fits-all blandness and a complete lack of imagination because it aims to create products that are inoffensive to everyone at once. This is obviously impossible, but they still try, so we get uninteresting games and they never quite get the figures they were looking for. Only under capitalism does this system seem sensible.

Unfortunately, as in the film industry, no matter how clear it becomes that nobody is buying the product because the product is ****, the last thing that'll ever happen is for anyone to admit it's **** and do something about it.

4. Edvuld

Edvuld New Member

Whenever possible I buy 2nd hand games in good shape, beacuse they reflect more what I'm willing to pay for them.

As other have pointed out, the game industry is pretty much alone in wanting profits of 2nd hand sales.

It's kinda interesting that when someone pirate a game, they "steal", but when someone buy a game, he/she doesn't own it according to them.

It doesn't make any sense to me...

5. Nictgsf

Nictgsf New Member

yet another way developers and publishers want to punish people who buy legit copy's of games. The music industry has realized DRM was pushing people down the piracy route as the pirated product was of better quality (i.e free of DRM so the user could do as they please with their music), but the gaming industry continues to punish people who buy legal with Securom/Games for windows and rockstar social club. They have to understand they will never ever have complete control over the market and the more they try, the more they alienate customers

6. Saivert

Saivert New Member

To Phil Rhodes: What a great post. I agree 100% with you on all points.

Valve knew this a long time ago. Hence they made the Steam system with online verifications. It minimizes the second hand sales and they also continuously patch and update most of their games (heck even Half-Life 1 got an update not too long ago).
    Yes you can still sell your games if you bought retail (you got a CD-KEY to sell that way), but it means the one who is buying your CD-KEY (which is what actually happens) must get this claimed to his account. Might take some time depending on the workload on Steam support.

Once again Valve is ahead of the bunch, and many people applaud Valve for what they are doing. Maybe Take Two makes worse games than Valve and thus doesn't deserve to get away with the same stunts.

7. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

For me I see second hand games as a route to getting the games I want cheaply without resorting to piracy. To me, bearing in mind I am a tight *******, £20-30 seems a lot to pay for a game, but £10 is much more reasonable. In my case, if they were to completely stop second hand games then I probably would download more even though when I think about it I think piracy is completely (I don't know what word to put here, but bad anyway)

8. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

QFT.

And it's good to hear people speaking out about Steam - don't get me wrong, I have a dozen Steam titles currently, but I resent the fact that Valve are trying to lock me in. If I can, I'll buy retail - just so I can resell when I choose to.

Tags: Add Tags