Windows Task Manager Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gecko, 29 Dec 2003.

1. Gecko

Gecko What's a Dremel?

In Windows XP Pro (non-sp1) i cannot getinto task manger, it says it is dissabled by the admin, but i am the system admin, and it is not dissabled (i dont even know how to dissable it). I was on a website and i got a pop saying "loading" in it. I tryed to close it but it wouldnt, so i hit reset. When i restarted i had laods of shortcuts dumped on my desktop to "websites" and a couple of exe's in the C:/ drive. I have used adaware to look for stuff and it keeps finging a cookie tracker prgram, and spybot search and destroy finds the same. Still dosent fix it, i ahve created anotehr admina co**** and loged into taht, and i can get into task mangaer from there. Tehre is also a file in my cookies folder called index.dat which i cannot delete. Funny thing it, i was on bit-tech when it happened.......

2. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

3. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

OK, try this:

Click Start->Run.

Enter gpedit at the command line and click OK. This will open the Group Policy settings.

Select User Configuration->
    Administrative Templates->
    System->
    Ctrl+Alt+Delete Options->
    Remove Task Manager.

Double-click the Remove Task Manager option from the Group Policy menu.

You can then disable, enable, or set the policy to Not Configured.

Remember: Since the policy in question is called Remove Task Manager, by disabling the policy, you are actually enabling the Task Manager. Disabling or setting this policy to Not Configured should alleviate the problem.

4. Gecko

Gecko What's a Dremel?

OMFG. Worked Ty Hex, hasd been owrking on it all night and had a responce in 5 mins. :sigh: Thought i would have to re-install windows.

5. Sportbilly

Sportbilly What's a Dremel?

Glad you got it sorted, but it sounds like you have a couple of security holes, do you have a firewall?

ZoneLabs have a relatively good free firewall, that should prevent a reinfestation. I'm sure there are others too, ask around...

Any clue what the bug was that did this? Found any more information on it that might help us from becoming victims also?

EDIT: Do you have Spybot S&D set to innoculate your PC? That stops some potentially troublesome applets from even loading.

Tags: