1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Team Fortress2 Update on MultiCore Rendering

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Nicb, 19 Mar 2009.

1. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

:thumb: Yes! I have never been so excited about an update for TF2 as this one. I'm finally utilizing not only the full potential of my CPU but Memory. I hope they do this with all the Valve games.

I have a E2200 / MSI 680i / 8600GT / 3gs Ram / Samsung T220 / and it does well with the Valve games, L4D, TF2, HalfLife2 Series, CS Source, ect. I have the highest settings enabled on most games and a few set lower to at least have 30fps minimum.

TF2 My regular settings are all set on High, 8XCSAA, Anisotropic 8X, Vertical Sync Enabled, Field of View 90 degrees. With these settings on my favorite server (Giant Mod Level) I was getting between 29fps to 46fps.

Now with MultiCore Rendering enabled on the same server I can now get between 63fps and 154fps. Not complaining but the odd thing with MultiCore enabled is that the fps are all over the place. With it disabled it only varies 17 fps. I have not use Fraps yet to get a detailed analysis. I will do that soon. But there is a very obvious difference for me and I'm happy about it.

For all my Valve games I use a code in my "Set Launch options" in Steam it is:

-novid: -heapsize 1024000 +cl_showfps 1

Most of you probably know this but what it should do is skip the beginning and get into the game start menu, shows FPS in the top right hand corner of the screen, and uses close to 1g of memory. The "1024000" can be changed to a lower number depending on memory available, but I suggest not higher.

Every thing worked in the past except memory usage. But now with the Multicore rendering it is using around 800 plus of memory while in the game.

Anyway, I wanted to share my experience. :clap:

I was wondering if AMD CPUs did just as well and also just different versions of CPUs period. Anybody that plays TF2 reply with personal results. If you have problems maybe this group of members can help.

Anybody else want to share their results good or bad?:lol: