1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding TEC fridge

Discussion in 'Modding' started by valium, 16 Feb 2004.

1. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

I was wondering about those TEC minidrige units that hold like a 6 pack. Has anyone ever modded one of these things to cool their radiator? Can it be done? Also how cold do TEC's get on the cold side and how hot do they get on the reverse side?

2. chadwick

chadwick What's a Dremel?

fridges arent very good at cooling stuff down..put something hot in the fridge and the temperature of your fridge will increase. they are only good at maintaning a low temperature. so cooling a radiator in a fridge probably isnt the best idea

3. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

also wouldnt you create alot of condesnation putting warm parts in?

4. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

id be more worried about the efficiency of the thing. youll probably get decent cooling but use more energy than your computer, lol

5. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

problem with fridges are as follows-

-dont cool that much anyway
    -condensation
    -the outside gets hot

6. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

If the fridge is sealed properly there shouldnt be any condensation. As for the heat, lets say I'm building my own case and put it in its own enclosure within the case there shouldnt be a problem. But about the cooling of the fridge you dont think it would cool a radiator, radiators arent that hot. Give me your opinions/personal experience.

7. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

if you put a fan on the radiator to move the air through the rad... wouldnt that cool the radiator?... i can see why i wouldnt work that well if you didnt have a fan, but with a fan, it should work.. right? :brrr:

8. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

If the radiator is enclosed in a fridge that's cold you shouldn't have to have a fan. I dunno I'm trying to think of alternatives to Phase Change cooling as it is quite a big setup and quite a load of $$$ to purchase one. If anyone knows quite alot about tec's I have a couple questions for you.

1. How hot does the TEC get, and what kind of cooling is ideal for a TEC?
    2. How cold can a TEC get?
    3. What watt PSU would you need for a TEC?

Power Consumption really isnt an issue and neither is installing a second power supply for a TEC see'ing as my case deisgn is still in progress. I'm working on home built plexi project, with chrome everything. G-nome's inspiration.

9. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

well wouldnt that only work if you leave the fridge on all the time... b/c the way i see it, since warm water will be continuously flowing through the radiator it wouldnt get a chance to cool off, but if the fan was in there, even completely enclosed... that would let the heat be expelled

i would have to make a drawing if you didnt understand that... and then you can prove me wrong, cause im only going on speculation :D

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

1. watercooling is ideal, but it is possible on air cooling with lower powered ones

2. depends on the power of it and on what it is cooling, sometimes sub-zero, other times just under room temp

3. the eat up a *lot* of power, generally it is good to have a seperate power supply for the TEC (not as in a computer power supply, but just a 12vDC power supply). I have seen 120w 12v supplies especially for TECs that are nice but rather pricey

you have to keep in mind that on a 100w TEC that is 100W solely on the 12v line, so even if your psu is 450w, there may not be enough juice on the 12v rail to supply it with enough power

11. buzzby

buzzby What's a Dremel?

One thing that has not been mentioned is that fridges are not ment to be on 24/7 if they are they break.

better to use a pelt on the cpu than try to do it another way.

If it did work you could have the water coming out of the fridge below abient temp which would mean you would have condensation problems inside the computer and along the tubing

Buzz

12. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

I didnt plan on it getting that cold :eek:

13. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

What about filling the Fridge With water and Freezing radiator it (as long as the TEC is able to I know the one I have is). Would that help cooling the radiator better than just straight air.
    Just a thought but not sure how practical it would be cause you may damage the radiator while freezing water around it.

14. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know anybody who has actually attempted this with success and temps/stories?