1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks TELE2 - Wireless DSL Anyone else using it???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Penrhos, 23 Oct 2001.

1. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

Had WSDL installed about 6 weeks ago - still having speed problems - peeks out about 42K on newsgroups but no more than 28K from direct downloads should be 512*256 service.
    Pings up and down like a yo-yo from 16-800 to barrysworld.

Anyone else using them - are they crap or am I just unlucky???

2. moose

moose What's a Dremel?

I'm a tad out of range, say 600 miles - but do their tech support shead any light on things?

3. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

Can you post some more info on the service so I can read up on it ?

4. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Your pings are about right for a wireless internet connection. Pings usually range from 50-2000 (and no im not joking).

That was a long time ago now tho, they might have improved it.

5. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

The web site for them is "www.tele2.co.uk" - it looks like the same G3 deal as NTL are offering in london....
    you get a square dish about 6" across on a pole on the roof, you have to have line of sight to a transmitter for it to work.
    The news servers seem Ok but peek at 38K/sec but I cannot get more than 4 threads at a time to run reliably but they do not appear to be censored like BT's and have a 7-day retention.
    They seem to use technology like Ionica (the phone people that went bust).
    Most of this week I have been able to d/l at 24K from the news servers and still surf at a reasonable rate but direct downloads are topping out at 32K pings to barrysworld are stable at mid-high 100's.
    Latency is a bit high though and tests using cnet/zdnet bandwidth tests yield mid 200's. During business hours its a lot worse... (business users get commited bandwidth so home users can drop to 6K/sec).
    Engineers due back Thursday lunch to re-test the layout and try another sector to improve the speed.

6. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

welcome to the forums dude,

I wasn't aware that WDSL was available!!

Slightly OT but I have used wireless equipment made by Breezecom.net and cisco Aironet's these are the proper WLAN Bridge's not what you get for home use really.

The transmitters we used had a range of 6km depending on direct line of sight,

I have also used Microwave ATM- our ATM's have a range of 20 miles or so at 34mbps - lol

Not sure why you are getting such a poor connection - What do other people on WDSL get?

I am only guessing that either the you dont have a proper direct line of sight... or worse that you are just on the boundries of the range.

Let us know how you get on.

7. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

How about this .... I get a friend who can get cable who is in line of site, to subscribe and create a wireless link between his house and mine!

NTL wont cable here because we're the 3rd house on a plot of 100, so they wont canvass until they are all finished - even though all the ducts are pre-layed by the builders.

8. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

That's almost EXACTLY the problem I have :(

Need to know what equipment to get and whether I can afford it....

Tags: