1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Temperature issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mm vr, 17 Jul 2009.

1. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I'm overclocking my CPU, and before I start, here are the specs:

- P5Q Pro
    - Q9550
    - 4 sticks of 800MHz CAS4 Corsair XMS2 at 2 gigs each
    - TRUE
    - Antec P182 (currently having the side panel open)

Using RealTemp and Everest to monitor my temps, both using a TJMax of 100°C. Stressing with LinX.

It has been like this from the beginning. Idle temps are in the 40°C mark, and load temps at stock clocks & voltages approach 60°C.

Applying an overclock, gotten it easily up to 3.4GHz now (1.285VCore, 1.26VTT, all other voltages manually set at minimum). Load temps over 70°C, the Q9550 is specced for 71.4°C which worries me.

Also worth noting that the heatsink base (ontop of the CPU) barely feels warm even if the temperature reported is 70°C. So either it is a miscalibrated sensor or a very badly seated heatsink.

AFAIK, the heatsink is correctly seated, with correct amounts of TIM applied, but who knows. Reseating the TRUE is the last thing I want to do, it's such a job! :p

Any ideas? Ill be happy to provide more info if necessary.

2. mm vr

Any ideas what could cause it?

Could it be that my TRUE's bottom is not flat at all like Pookeyhead's?

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Whether it's caused by that or not, the fact is you will see a large improvement if you lap it... so that's what I'd be doing first.

I don't know much about overclocking quads, so can't comment on your temps... but get that TRUE lapped. :)

4. mm vr

Hmm, lapping is something I'd rather not do actually. Not only because it takes years to do!

It also has half a year of warranty left, but I guess nothing can go wrong with a heatsink. :)

I'll check if it needs lapping at some point if I have time to remove the mobo.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

You may not need to remove the mobo. My mobo holds the TRUE's backplate in place when I remove it.