1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Tentative gaming laptop ideas

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by profqwerty, 31 Jan 2011.

1. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

I've currently got an IBM T42 from work, which just about plays CoD2. I do a lot of CAD work for uni and stuff, and solidworks juuuuuuuuuust about works. Equally, Matlab juuuuuuust about handles decent calculations. So, I'm looking for a laptop to replace it; I've done a fair amount of looking round, but am completely out of the loop for what's good / adequate / etc nowadays, and if there are any "gems" that aren't obvious.

Required specs:
    Plays modern CoDs, 3D CAD, general steam games.
    Looks normal + square strong chassis. Not really a fan of thin shiny plastic and curvy bits with things sticking out. Equally, a T42 can survive falling off your bonnet at 40mph around a corner and bouncing down the road (HDD came out and landed in the grass :D )
    It'll be plugged in most of the time (esp for games), movies / typing when there's no power (planes etc).
    Higher res than 1024 x 768 would be a bonus, but I would use an external screen when at my desk.
    I like the size of this one, 14" square screen, but that doesn't seem common any more - it fits in my bag! 15" would be alright, don't really want it too big / too small

TL;DR

Is it possible if people could throw out some suggestions for normal looking (square, no flashing lights, no weird angular bits, no shiny thin plastic) smaller / thinner gaming laptops which are CoD4 / CAD usable please?

I mean, it may not be possible and they don't actually exist, but there's always hope :)
    Budget <$3000 say, I've got a shipping location in vermont (on exchange to McGill...they gave me a scholarship...it's gotta go somewhere :D )

Many many thanks!!!

2. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

dell - even my kid hasnt killed mine (though it no longer charges... acutally f dell)

:-0

3. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

As much as it pains me to put this out there... A Dell Latitude E6410 would probably suite your requirements. You could configure the following for $1943.00. You'll get better components out of an ASUS, but better business support and non-flashiness from a Dell/IBM/HP.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-640M (2.80GHz, 4M cache) with Turbo Boost Technology
    Memory: 8.0GB, DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMMS
    HDD: 500GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    ODD: 8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio and Cyberlink Power DVD™, no media
    WLAN: Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 802.11a/b/g/n and 802.16e Half Mini Card
    Display: 14.1" UltraSharp™ WXGA+(1440x900) Anti-Glare LED with Premium Panel Guarantee
    GPU: 512MB NVIDIA NVS 3100M discrete graphics with ExpressCard

Check with your University also to see if they have any partnership deals. I went to Drexel University and we always got 10-15% off of Dell or IBM.