1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The beginings of project minimal modding, major performance

Discussion in 'Modding' started by G4m3R_X3r0, 11 Dec 2004.

1. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

Ok so a while back i started to mod a case, and it pretty much went all wrong cuz i got to the point of where it was more of a hack job and i was trying to put more money in to the case then the part, I lost sight of my main goal, using high end/mid ranged parts to beat todays store bought gaming PC's.

I know this sounds a little far fetched but it's a goal of mine to try and accomplish, so here entails the title of my project...

MINIMAL MODDING - MAJOR PERFORMANCE

My case that i will use is the cooler master Pretorian
    [​IMG]
    I am currently saving up the $$ to buy this case for my project. So right now this log is more of my ideas and whats going to go in to the case.

The minimal modding part is going to be, a window, black insides and UV Green Accents (being my motherboard, PSU, fans, and cables)

The major performance is going to be what i call "Performance Overclocking"
    Here is the final Hardware list I am shooting for. Parts that are in bold are parts i already own.

Main Board: DFI LanParty NFII Ultra REV A
    CPU: AMD XP 3000+
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Volcano 12
    Memory: UNDETERMINED 1gb Dual Channel PC3200
    Video Card: Radeon 9600XT

HDD1: Maxtor SATA 60GB Drive - OS Drive
    HDD2: Maxtor ATA133 80GB Drive
    HDD3: Maxtor ATA133 80GB Drive

HDD's 2 & 3 will be raided together for gaming/media purposes :)

That is the major internals on the system. I'll update more as my ideas become more solid, wish me luck as i start step 1 of my process... saving the $$$ for the case.

2. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

If you're overclocking, get a mobile. Costs less, OCs better. A 74GB Raptor would perform better than 2x80GBs raided. Have fun with that DFI board while it lasts.

3. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

I would consider throwing out the 2x 80gig hd's and getting a 200GB Seagate 7200rpm 8mb cache HD, I did, and it's very fast, much faster than my old Maxtor (same specs and the maxtor was even ata133...).. plus if one of your maxtors fails (maxtor isn't the best HD maker anymore) all of your data is gone.

I would also consider getting a mobile barton 2500+ 45w, or maybe even a mobile 2400+ (still 1.8GHz) 35watt and kicking it up to 2.2GHz, most, if not all mobiles can do that very easily on air cooling, and they are only 80-95 bucks.. so you save a load of money...

With that money saved, buy yourself a better video card, the 9600xt's aren't all that great these days, try a 9800Pro or an Nvidia fx5900 XT, I guarantee you wont regret my advice!

Edit: I just re-read your post and noted that the stuff in bold is stuff you already have... that kinda complicates things... *advice goes out the window* ... selling some stuff to raise money for other stuff might be option though

4. G4m3R_X3r0

@user0001 - What do you mean while it lasts??? I've had the board for a year already and havn't any problems what so ever! ;)

@Mace - Thanx for the advice, the Mobile CPU are they really much better over the other ones??? also on top of that, my Maxtor hasn't crapped out on me in the 3 years of owning it. and it's been through alot.

EDIT: BTW Your Carbon Pro Wallpaper has been my background for a month, looks really cool nice work!!!

5. Yerg2k

Yerg2k What's a Dremel?

HDD failure is chance. But consider this: If a manufacturer (lets say maxtor) designed their hard drive when people used Win98, well, it worked fine. But with new OSes like XP, the drive gets stressed much more. The older designs work great when the drive isn't getting used 75% of the time - but with new software comes greater stress on the drive, and it simply wasn't designed for that.

I can't count on one hand how many maxtor drives went bad a few months after a client switched to XP. The drives that came with their system may be 3 years old, yet they tend to go out once they start really getting used more than they are used to.

We replace all drives with seagates, they seem to work very well and have a long lifetime. I've only seen one seagate come back within a year of having it installed; I've seen maxtor's come back in year-old name brand systems a few times.

Thinking of that, consider this: Perhaps some drives are good ones that last long, but in general the average drive of, lets say Maxtor or WD, will not last nearly as long as an average drive of, lets say Seagate, just due to design considerations.

I must have gotten a good drive: My 80 gig maxtor has been churnin away for almost 3 years, no problems. But I switched all my data over to a brand spankin new Seagate 160, and I use the old maxtor for ghost regular ghost backups. And that maxtor's been stressed, lots of file operations and nightly defrags with Diskeeper.

6. G4m3R_X3r0

So how much do seagates normaly cost??

7. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

cheap as chips mate, just bought me a 160GB 7200rpm 8mb Cache Barracuda Plus for a third of what i bought my 40gb maxtor four years ago for, only £60 vat incl, from ebuyer, bargain! Raid isn't worth the bother these days, a fast disc and your northbridge shall kick any raid arrays arse anyday mate, its a tired old way of backing up data.

8. G4m3R_X3r0

What the conversion of the Euro Dollor to the U.S. Dollor???

Also it this a good Seagate HDD?

I'm an avid Newegg shopper!! :) :) :)

EDIT: Oh this is going to be my gaming machine, I'm finding i don't like the NVidia Soundstorm Audio on the board so i'm going to go with the Creative labs Audigy Z2 Card.
    Sound Card

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

~Yerg2K: I use WD drives religiously, and I haven't ever had a problem with them. I even RMA'd a drive to them once, about 4 years old, that was destroyed due to a power surge (long story...) and they were really cool about it. Seagate and WD are both considered the higher hard drive companies, and usually seen about the same...

~X3r0: Good hard drive, good sound card (check my sig :thumb: ), but I would advise spending a bit more and getting the "Platinum" version that comes with the I/O drive, because it's really quite useful.

10. G4m3R_X3r0

@ Zyphyr, I really don't need the I/O Drive cuz i have nothing that will really use it.... As for the HDD's Is there a price Diffrence between WD and Seagate???

ALso general Question to all, I want 1gb dual channel mem, but i don't know what band to use, can i get some advice from all about what brand??

11. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

If you plan on overclocking, from personal experience I recommend Kingston HyperX, although I believe the Corsair XMS line is rated above the HyperX. If you don't plan on overclocking, the Kingston ValueRAM line is a good one, as is the Corsair value line. I don't believe that there is much of a price difference between WD and Seagate drive, I think Seagate's are slightly cheaper <80GB, and WD's are slightly cheaper >80GB. But don't hold me to that.

12. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

I perfer WD's. Have had bad past experiences with Seagate. So for me its a personal prefrence.

As for the RAM I could go with the Corsair XMS. I have about 3 gigs of this stuff in various machines that I built and it really does well. It also can handle OC with no problem.

I would really think about the getting that Audiology platium. Sure its a bit more cash.. But the I/O panel makes a huge diffrence plus you get the Firewire.

13. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

let me educate you a bit € = Euro , £ is British Pound

€ 1.00 = us$ 1.34
    £ 1.00 = us$ 1.94

http://www.paragear.com/frame.asp?main=converter.asp

i use this as a currency converter , just because it is the only one i need / know , i dont buy that much from that site ...