Motors The Bit-Tech Formula 1 2014 Thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 24 Nov 2013.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

I hope his new race engineer is equally northern. In fact, it'd be even better if he was Scottish or Geordie. That would be awesome.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Looks like more overheating problems for RBR...

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Mercedes also had a heat issue that was picked up today because it's been hotter than previous days in testing.

Sam

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So, Merc finally have an overheat issue, in one out of four cars out that day, after almost ninety laps, even with the issue the race would have been long finished.

Meanwhile of the four Renault cars, none made it to race distance without breaking down.

Tomorrow (28th) Engine specs are fixed.

Saturday, Renault starts bleating to the FIA about needing to make 'reliability' fixes. Now that it's happening, the cynic in me thinks this whole situation could be a front so Renault can keep developing their power train through the season. Not that their previous fixes from 2008-10 helped in any way, no sir...

Last edited: 27 Feb 2014
  5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Sure, but Renault cars again managed only half of the laps of any other team.

6. RedFlames

The Merc is overheating because it's hotter weather... Merc say this is a good thing, exposes any reliability problems that may crop up in Aus and similar [hot] races...

RBR is overheating... no-one's sure if it's overheating for the same reason as the merc [the hot weather] or if their past overheating problems still haven't been fixed...

In short -

Merc overheats, Merc says 'it'll be fine', most people believe them because their reliability has, so far, been good...
    RBR overheats, RBR says 'it'll be fine', no-one believes them as their reliability has, so far, been poor...

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Renault seems to struggle with electrics more than any top manufacture, And with 150bhp coming from that they were always going to be in a bad position. Redbull cars finished so many races without Kers or it failed during Quali, If that happens during a race this time they could well get themselves lapped.

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Autosport mentioned in one of their premium/AS+ columns that the issue that the teams are facing in terms of reliability is one of range at high speeds.
    they ahve 5 (i believe) engines and gearboxes available. That means that every engine needs to last for 4 races, or 1200km RACE DISTANCE. Double that to include practice, quali, etc.
    After the last test, no team had put sufficient mileage on a single engine to verify the engine's capability to do that. I believe that an ex caterham engineer stated soemthing along the lines of 5000km on an engine before they can say "yes - we'll be fine with the engine's life".

I reckon that bit is going to catch some people out.

Also interesting is that Ferrari is surprisingly calm. No glory laps for the italian media, etc. This indicates them being comfy.

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

No need to wait for Saturday:
    Renault has asked for extension already. (source - German)

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Previous years failures are very different to this year - the ERS installations are now mandated in the tub, taking the packaging out of the reliability equation (in terms of different teams anyway). In previous years RBR were putting the batteries for the KERS in the gearbox, on the floor, all over the show and with disastrous results for their reliability, but everything is sacrificed for aero there.

ETA: I'd imagine the engines that are running will meet their life targets. They've all been dyno'd to death (and beyond) in the last couple of years, so I'd expect the engines themselves to be robust enough, it's getting everything else working together for those 1200km which will be the struggle (assuming the teams can cool them enough). I must admit I've got a bit of schadenfreude watching RBR fall on hard times, it'll be good to see how they handle it after years on top.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2014
  11. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

also: With ERS being 150bhp this year, as well as the break-by-wire system, etc, a failed ERS means retirement. No debates about that.

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The RB10 might be broken, but the PR guys are on good form:

13. RedFlames

No worries... It'll buff out...

[​IMG]

14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/...g-fail-to-complete-a-single-lap-on-day-three/

Felipe quickest.
    Vettel breaks down twice, half way through the first lap, then leaving the pit lane later in the day.

I really, really want Massa or Button to win in Australia, Massa's put up with so much crap from Ferrari, he needs to really drive home that when push came to shove he wasn't the weak link in the team. As for Button, after the awful winter he's had it would be nice to see him winning, even if there won't be pink shirt waving it's arms round with the mechanics.

15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I have high hopes for a competitive year for JB, but I'd give my left nut to see a Williams driver on the podium in Melbourne.

16. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Second favorite team that to my old all time favorite Tyrrell

17. RedFlames

So that's testing over... what d'you reckon? how many cars/teams will make it the chequered flag in Melbourne?

Wouldn't be surprised if at least one team doesn't make the start... *cough* Lotus *cough*

18. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I think we will see a lot of smoke from Renault engines, the rest could have other mechanical failures.

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The way I see this:

If RBR sorts their issues out, expect their car to be BLISTERINGLY quick. JB said about an experience in testing: "Ricciardo couldn't get past me on the straight, but then simply overtook me in turn 11 (fast turn). I have never seen anything like that before."
    General observations are that this thing can take kerbs easily, without looking upset.

Mercedes are the obvious favourites right now, and they are looking good.
    Possibly looking as good is Williams.
    Force India looks decent as well.
    McLaren - well, JB sounds a bit concerned, but then - he cries a lot.
    Ferrari seem to be on-pace in long runs, but have yet to show a proper qualifying run. Fernando pleaded for them to look into that, though that could just be "bait" for the media/other teams.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

RBRs 1 lap pace looks good but no one can say what there race pace is like. They have not even completed the race distance in testing yet.

Chances of RBR turning up and finishing the first race must be a close slim to none at this point. Id be shocked if there cars are reliable enough to even qualify as you never know one day to the next if its gonna do anything.

Any driver that finishes will likely get points as I dout we will get alot of finishers in the first race.

Ferrari are either holding back in a huge way or are behind the merc teams.

Theres been rumours that the Merc engine consumes less fuel than either its Renault or Ferrari counter parts.

Lotus, RBR would be contenders for not making the start, Niether car has done alot of testing, Niether car has any reliability.

Hope williams is as good as it has shown in testing.