1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM The blues. now entered in POTM

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by whisperwolf, 23 Sep 2008.

1. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I had been looking at something more music blues-ie to enter in to POTM but think I have photoshopped this pic too much to be entered. I'm going to have another try to get the effect without Photoshop tonight or tomorrow. Still what do you think composition wise? It’s a two shot exposure blending the shadow of the note over the shadow of the harmonica.

[​IMG]

large size here
    Original size here

Last edited: 24 Sep 2008
  2. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Heh! Nice one!
    I think if you take the exposure down between .5 and 1 to make sure the highlights aren't as blown it will definitely be up there! :)

Good idea mate! Kudoz!

3. ssR

ssR Carbon God

i really like the composition, the idea and the mood set by the shot. but like you said im not sure if it's legit to submit such pics to POTM. then again it's not my call :)

4. akpoly

akpoly What's a Dremel?

i like the idea and the intent behind it. This could have totally been done using film on a double exposure by covering the lens on one half and then exposing for the other half. But you did say it was a chop, so I'm up on the wall. (I didn't submit my culture for last month because I felt PSing the guy out would qualify it for a chop)

5. OleJ

OleJ Me!

AFAIK going through PS to achieve double exposure isn't cheating/unfair/heavy chopping... It's easily done on film so....
    I think it's a hair thin line and it can sometimes be hard to exactly pinpoint where it is.

If your intention was to achieve a double exposure from the get go and you just blended the two layers in PS then I have a hard time seeing why it would disqualify it.

Doing this composition with 1 or 2 light sources and a tripod shouldn't be all too difficult though? Give it a go. I'd love to see the results.

6. Vers

Vers ...

Very clever...I like the concept. Some C&C: the shadow would look much better if it were on the same plane/angle as the harmonica. The lighting on the harmoica is off a bit as well, it should be a bit more uniform in relation to the shadow/light source (if your shadow is on the left side of a wall, and your standing to the right of it [the shadow] facing the wall...where is the light source?) Also, the hotspot in the middle could use a bit of toning down--hard light is good, blow outs are not. I know I'm just nit-picking, but its what separates a good image from an great one.

7. whisperwolf

Ok was having another play with this idea and trying to get one shot without any photoshop. I never want to light a shiny metal harmonica with a spotlight again. Positioning a torch on lots of cd boxes trying to get an angle that didn't just give blown highlights is annoying.
    Anyway shots below full set here. What do you think?

1. without ony PS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ssR

ssR Carbon God

the original is still my favorite

9. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Soo much better. I quite prefer the 1st of the new ones. Although all 3 have each their quality. Good job. Really! :thumb:

Now go buy $10,000 worth of studio equipment (lights etc) and reshoot :p

10. whisperwolf

There were times last night when I would have gladly spent the money if I could have stopped having to cellotape a torch to stacks of cds. Its a good job my other half wasn't around, think I would have got scowled at due the mess in the lounge.

11. Rhazesia

Rhazesia What's a Dremel?

I like the original best. Very clever. :)

12. whisperwolf

OK final shot.
    I prefered the lower down view from the first shot. so went back to try again. this time i used a better stand for the harmonica so didn't have to cloan it out from finished pic

[​IMG]

I'm going to enter this into POTM as i don't see any difference to blending the two exposures on this to bracketing exposures on landscapes. If you don't agree don't vote for it.

Final shot is a double exposure using the d50 kit lens, 1 sec, f11, wb set to tungsten.
    original size here

Last edited: 24 Sep 2008
Tags: