1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Crippled God. 2020 Extrusion + 3D Printed Open Frame.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by lowfat, 9 Feb 2020.

1. lowfat

lowfat Active Member

Promised myself years ago I'd do one system where I put my all in to it. Since I'm familiar w/ 3d printers I'll be going that route for all manufacturing. Started modeling the system over a year ago. Was originally going to go w/ water cooling. However earlier this year I decided I don't want to water cool any more. I have been working on this for a few months already but since I'm super slow I let stuff build up before starting the log.

Pic of the model before I decided on air.
    [​IMG]

And then the renders I finished a short while ago. All the pieces are broken down in to sizes that my modded Prusa MK3S can print.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sleeving I'll be using. MDPC-X Perfect Pink and Riviera Blue. Both are the XTC small. I'm not sure I like it as much. But I'll wait till I actually try it on sleeving. Both are UV reactive and I'll be using a lot of UV LED in this system.
    [​IMG]

New motherboard. Asus Prime X570-Pro. Cheapest board I could find w/ 3 PCIe x8/x16 slots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the heart of the new system. I'm already using the CPU + mobo.
    [​IMG]

Most of the parts are printed. A few parts are missing as I needed to reprint them. Blue is ABS. The translucent / natural is PLA. The feet are PETG, as its significantly stronger.

[​IMG]

The motherboard tray. Printed in PLA. The combs I tossed as they need too much post processing. So I'll reprint them from ABS or PETG.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes! A perfect fit.

[​IMG]

Sleeved the USB C internal cable as well as the power button. One side of power button unfinished as I don't know its exact length yet. USB cable isn't perfect, but stretching the heatshrink to get it over the connector was a real pain.

[​IMG]

UV LEDs showed up. Better than I expected. Very little visible light thrown. Its mostly just the reflection off the parts. Threw in some UV orange printer parts to see their affect.
    [​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  2. Mizuwari

Mizuwari In vino veritas

Looks promising! And reverse ATX are the way to go :rock:

lowfat likes this.
  3. lowfat

lowfat Active Member

I had worked on this for a while epoxying and sanding. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. I eventually got sick of sanding the XTC-3D coating and threw most of the printed parts in the garbage. I eventually reprinted the parts again, this time out of higher quality eSUN PLA. I started painting and sanding again over the last few days.

The motherboard tray parts I did not reprint as I had so much work in to them already. Here is after a ton of epoxy and sanding.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I painted them and realized it wasn't even close to being done. So I'm now using a laquer and an eye dropper on areas where you could tell it was 3d printed.
    [​IMG]

The laquer is stuff left over from a previous project.
    [​IMG]

Macro
    [​IMG]

Thought the main motherboard tray was also finished.
    [​IMG]

But nope, lite sanding shows it definitely isn't. Getting closer though.
    [​IMG]

Backside is definitely getting there.
    [​IMG]

State of the rest of the parts.
    [​IMG]

MLyons likes this.
  4. MLyons

MLyons Half dev, Half doge. Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Super interesting build. I've been looking into doing a 3D printed build. What mods have you done to your printer?

lowfat likes this.
  5. lowfat

lowfat Active Member

Upgraded heater block to an E3D Volcano w/ a 0.6mm Micro Swiss nozzle. Upgraded to a BMG extruder. Upgraded hot end fan to a 24V Sunon. Upgraded cooling fan to a 24V Nidec. Bear X Axis. MattyVee's Y Axis mods.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Printed is in an smart enclosure, very much function over form. Enclosure heater is automated based on material I am printing. Same w/ the HEPA and carbon filtration when printing ABS. RGB changes depending on time of day, etc.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A super short clip of the printer in action.
    https://i.imgur.com/ZVt0I3Z.mp4

Cheapskate and MLyons like this.
  6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That enclosure is great. A guy in Minnesota would have liked to have known these were sensitive to surrounding temperature. :worried: -Now he has a plastic baseball where the extruder was.

7. lowfat

lowfat Active Member

Really only depends on the materials you print. Printing PLA should be doable in pretty much any environment.

Modeled a super simple cover to hide the top of the NH-D14 heatsink.
    [​IMG]

Printed and painted.
    [​IMG]

Worked on the LED controller. An ESP8266 development board, using an ON Semiconductor FQP30N06L mosfet so I can dim the UV LEDs. This will control both the UV leds as well as some addressable RGBs LEDs. Also threw in a spare AM2320 humidity / temperature sensor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Built the frame. Took a few tries to get it square and all the pieces the correct length. Fitment of the panels is pretty good.
    [​IMG]

Modeled a small enclosure for the LED controller as well as the holes for the power button, chassis fan speed switch, and 'front panel' USB-C.
    [​IMG]

Where I'm going to put the UV LEDs for the bottom. You can see one hiding on top of the LED controller enclosure. I'm trying to get the UV to only shine on the sleeving. Although the UV LEDs don't actually throw a ton of visible light.
    [​IMG]

And the two @ the top of the LED enclosure.
    [​IMG]

The LED controller enclosure printed and have started prep work on it.
    [​IMG]

This is the 'paint' I'm using. It works great for 3d printed parts due to its heavy texture.
    [​IMG]

Main part of motherboard tray is completed I believe.
    [​IMG]

I/O part of the tray needs another coat or two on certain parts.
    [​IMG]

Also done. Other 3 need more work.
    [​IMG]

The following are all still a WIP.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

UV LED mounts.
    [​IMG]

8. Mizuwari

Mizuwari In vino veritas

Simple but efficient :thumb: Couldn't this cover made so it would also hide the top of the fan ? Or would it interfere with their mounting brackets?