1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The D901C Phantom-X server laptop

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Last edited: 13 May 2008
  2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

This is a way to get your company noticed across the world.

PS: It's Eurocom with one "m"

3. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Hmmmm.. not too sure about this.. I mean.. i like all the power, but the weight and battery life suck. They might as well provide a winding handle to recharge the batteries - seeing as they only last about an hour. I also don't really get the point of "desktop-replacement laptops". The reason desktops are so good is because they are incredibly easy to upgrade and you can get whatever peripherals you want (especially input devices and screens), whereas laptops are supposed to be portable. As a laptop it fails miserably (in my eyes at least). However, as a tech demo it's very impressive. I mean it's hard enough to cool that kit in a PC let alone in a laptop. :jawdrop:

4. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I don't understand why they still cling to the "laptop" idea in things like this. Why not make it like Dell's XPS m2010?

5. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

So thats where rock went wrong!

6. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I think everyone is missing the target audience. It looks like a mobile server in laptop clothing, not a laptop in the traditional sense. Like if they needed a server on a job site, but it's not financially viable to truck a normal server out. Or if the server needs to be moved often.

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Maybe, but what kind of server needs twin 8800M GTX graphics?

8. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

The kind you can take home and play modern games on!

Sheesh this is taking willy waving over how good your laptop is to the extreme. You could probably leave this plugged in and switch off your central heating in the winter.

9. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

I can to a degree understand where this type of laptop(desktop-replacements) is useful. But I really cannot understand why they even bother putting a battery in them. Surely they could use that space for better things or just to make them a bit lighter...

10. amacieli

amacieli What's a Dremel?

I'm starting a petition to have the word "Crysis" expunged from our vocabularies.

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ya I dont think this should be called a server or a laptop just a simple "Desktop Replacement" for gamers

12. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

This is why I use the desktop pc for my graphic intensive games and reserve the laptops for more casual/older games when on travel. Spending that kind of dough on a laptop is a bit insane. Especially when the technology and speed of hardware continues to grow at a fairly quick rate.

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Aside from the price, this would be prefect for gaming at work.

Here's the advantage to desktop replacements. I work 24 hour shifts and it would be nice to have something to game on at work on the slow days. For this, I would need something that is reasonably easy to move, fairly powerful, and as large as possible, but doesn't really need a battery. It's going to go to work with me, sit on the table next to an outlet, and then go home with me in the morning. Obviously a real desktop would not be suitable, but a truly portable isn't whats needed either.

Tags: Add Tags