1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dark Knight (2008)

Discussion in 'General' started by shomann, 18 Jul 2008.

1. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I just got back from the movie and I couldn't agree with Shomann more. It's definitely a movie to see.

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

anyone in the UK hung up about not being able to see it for yet another week should tide themselves over with WALL-E. it's amazing.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2008
  3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I hadn't even realised Wall-E was actually out over here yet. Damn!

4. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Wall-E is brilliant. Its got some proper jokes and the overall look of the film looks great.
    Im so looking forward to Batman but i may wait a week to watch it just to let the hype calm down but i know it will be the best film ive seen in a few years.

5. K

K 528491

Wall-E is undoubtedly brilliant and should be the film you watch this week for sure. One of the best films I've seen in ages.

A question to those Stateside that have seen Dark Knight; does it include the prologue bit? Where the Joker and co break into the mob bank??

6. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

Brilliant. I watched once on Thursday night with my friends, and just got back from another round with my siblings tonight. 2nd run was on Imax, and I was more like looking for important details that I missed.

Ranks up there with V for Vendetta, Thank You For Smoking, I am Legend as my pick of best movies in recent memories.

Heath Ledger is THE Joker. He beat Jack flat out. Although I can't say Jack didn't do a good job, because he was good, rather, I suppose it's because Joker was made out to be a much simpler villain in the movie back then.

7. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Yes it does. It basically flash cuts to the first scene of the bank job from the WB logo, no credits before, cool intro.

Agreed. IMHO the new Joker's success is due to 3 factors:
    Ledger's performance was absolutely brilliant. I have been comparing him to Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs to those that have seen both movies. He brings a believability into a genius/psychopath character that I am not sure just anyone could have pulled off.

The writing of the character, his dialogue and the story just wove itself so well with the rest of the movie while being a force of it's own. The subtle hints to a backstory that you never get, the totally lack of the annoying habit to tell the audience EVERYTHING about a character all at once, the continual theme, all of it flawless.

The cinematography - Notice the quick cuts to and from the Joker story elements. The scene of him in the police car almost totally devoid of sound, his last scene taunting Batman while hanging upside-down and swinging and of course the video camera elements of the Joker's communiques which are usually overdone in movies, but fit so well in this one.

OK, so I didn't wait a week to give my opinion :D. I would encourage everyone else who wants to talk about specifics to use the SPOILER tags for our friends that haven't yet seen it. :thumb:

8. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

K, it did include the bank robbing scene, that is what it starts out with.

9. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Totally off topic, but having just seen wall-e, I have to ask how the hell anyone could find that amazing. Dull film, I heard kids going "I’m sleepy" and "I’m bored". The random clip of the magician and rabbit was the best bit of the whole film. And that’s being generous.

The Dark Knight however, is going to be awesome.

10. K

K 528491

Kids are stupid. I loved it.

Cheers for the heads up on the bank scene. I absolutely loved that and was worried it was just made as a teaser thing for some comic-con or something, heh.

11. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Just saw it today, amazing movie, probably the best superhero film I've seem.

12. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

+1 to the 'just saw it and loved it' crowd. It really is good. It's darker than the first (not surprising), and people are saying good things about Heath Ledger's performance because they're true. If you liked the first one, the sequel does not disappoint.

Spoilers:
    There were a lot of plot threads I didn't quite follow - but then, I usually miss bits and pieces of movies the first time around, it'll probably make more sense on a second viewing. Still, how in the world did the joker manage to get massive quantities of explosives into (at least) three buildings and two ferries undetected? Most of those buildings were heavily guarded, and ferries are guarded like nothing else in the world. I know he had squads of loonies working for him, but still. Also, he says at one point that they're full of diesel fuel. Which doesn't explode. Maybe that's why he had to punch the detonator a bunch of times. :D

I'm not-so-secretly glad they killed Rachel. She just wasn't making any sense as Batman's love interest. Although the Maggie Ghyllenhaal version is far better than the Katie Holmes version.

Was I the only one sitting in the theater listening to the Joker talk about human nature, and thinking 'Bit's going to have a great discussion about this'?

13. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

As to your second spoiler
    He said he mixed a chemical, I believe he said Ammonium Nitrate, in with the fuel. Ammonium Nitrate would cause an explosion with the diesel fuel. As for how he got it in, he had all of the mob connections working with him and all that, I'm sure he could have also just paid the guards a bit to go on a long break or just hire them. He is also a supervillain, this is a superhero movie, remember.(Although probably the best superhero movie ever)

14. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

My favourite scenes

I'll make the pencil disappear. BAM!

and

Nurse Joker,"Hi~~!" to Harvey Dent."

15. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Saw it yesterday, loved it. Was awesome. The joker was superbly played.

16. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Why so Serious?

Best movie this summer hands down.

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

saw it a few hours ago. Ledger was praised before we even got to see the trailer and everyone was right to do so. He was freaking amazing and I believe he is the main reason why people should see this film

great movie

oh and btw , 9.7/10 so far on imdb LOL

18. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

It's true, couldn't really say it more. Also, said in the latest purchases thread, but epic pencil trick, best one ever recorded. The acting by him in that role is amazing. Such great depth to the film, really bridges the gap from the comic to a serious story. perfect. and some more praise, because it was amazing.

EDIT: Failed to mention the pencil trick.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2008
  19. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

got my ticket booked to see it this weds. so hyped :D

20. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Saw it saturday evening. Gorgeous. Brilliant. And the where's my pencil?

Tags: