1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Final Upgrade... :sigh:

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cheap Mod Wannabe, 20 Aug 2005.

1. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Okay so I'm planning to get 2x512 168pin SDRAM for my old old respected and loved computer... k7vma, 850 Duron, Geforce... MX.. *sob.... MX 2 *sob.... :waah: old days.... *cries* .... MX200... 64MB

The computer traveled 5000miles with me and my family, and served us 5 years, and is still in very great condition...

Just Photoshop CS/Illustrator CS were getting laggy due to small amount of memory so I will invest into the FINAL UPGRADE :rock:

Darn 132$ for SDram :sigh:

Also I was planning to finish my own PC's Upgrade Cycle by getting All Copper Zalman GPU Fan for my FX5900Xt and a Zalman Fan to replace Stock AthlonXP 2800+ heatsink however Zalman compatibility chart says that AN7 motherboards are not compatible...

So I was thinking maybe you can suggest some good CPU fans?

Also any other suggestions are welcome...

2. Clearion

Clearion What's a Dremel?

Mabye the smaller Zalman 7000Cu? or thermalright XP120 if it fits on the mobo, And finally the XP90.
    You might also get away with cutting a few fins of the 7700 :dremel: , (know a guy who scuezed one into his Shuttle that way :cooldude: ) but i don't know if it worka on your mobo so i wouldn't recomend it...

3. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Since non of Zalman are reported as incompatible with AN7, I think the problem is not the fins, but the mounting of the Heatsink. XP120 is not even compatible with my Socket though... :rolleyes:

P.S. Which UT do you prefer 99 or 2k4?

4. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Aaaah good old faithful PCs. What are you planning to do with it when you have to finally stop using it.
    Take it outside and shoot it? or give it to a good home?

EDIT:: on the UT front...its got to be 99 all the way.

5. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Are you kidding me? Shoot it? Well sure it would be cool, but then the Force would punish me by breaking my future hardware.... I would not risk it...

And right now the older PC is being used more than before. My stepmother got into Graphic design and now it's all about Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and etc.

Also my dad play's some UT 99 on it once in a while, however frame rate is not so good.

I myself is 99 die hard fan, but ZARK mod

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

As far as HS's go, try this.

It's cheap, and apparently it's a very good cooler to boot, so if you stick a silent fan onto it, it'll cool your CPU more than adequately.
    [edit]You might actually get away with running it passively! :D[/edit]

7. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Awww Passively..? That is just plain mean man... that's not just an insult to my awesome uber custom premodded case.... Oh wait did I said pre modded?!! Oh noo wait don't shoot me noooo.... AAAA

Anyways thanks, that heatsink looks alright

8. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond What's a Dremel?

Another option is this heatsink which is somewhat more future proof - it's also compatible with the K8 socket.

I am a big fan of keeping those old trusted machines alive - the only problem will be when longhorn/vista comes out and we won't be able to install it because they're not 64 bit :duh:

9. Cheap Mod Wannabe

From the pictures I do not see how can you mount a fan on top of it... Does it require some modding or something...?

Oh and between, I ordered 1gig of SDRAM... and FX5200, 256mb at 128-bit.
    132$ for memory and 51$ for video... And you do not have to tell me... I know.. I know, I could've gotten alot faster Ati for the same price...

I'm gonna pwn people with that Duron :hehe:

Last edited: 22 Aug 2005