1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Freeze a CRT" thread :)

Discussion in 'General' started by Vigfus, 26 Aug 2005.

1. SHAKIRALOVER

SHAKIRALOVER What's a Dremel?

Awwwwwwww :'(

2. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

There was a program on dicovery channel about how some mining company used vacuum to make ice for cooling. They create a vacuum and the water boils and freezes at the same time. Resulting in masses of ice... I have no idea how it works though. :(

3. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Could you not have boiled the water before you put it in? Would that not have resulted in clearer ice?

4. SHAKIRALOVER

No thats what i did, in other thread theres pics.

5. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

So, now it's fully frozen, not the insides they will take longer. All ice visible is now frozen.
    Now i only have one problem left. Refreeze or just open it? My experience with refreezing tells me it doesn't do much, atleast not with my water (check the gallery). I could open it and just hope i can get it back together again after taking some (200) pics...

Your thoughts?

6. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Just take it out - with some help! And take some pics. In my experience of refreezing you mustn't freeze it for too long, or the ice just becomes frosted again. Don't think you'll be able to get clear ice due to the amount of water you need to freeze, which will take too long.

7. fev

fev Industry Fallout

i've only read upto page 10... but as a chemist i thought i'd dive in.... to remove air from water which is what causes the frost effect you have to BOIL THE WATER FIRST!!!

then slowly pour it into you're freezing container so you don't add any more oxygen

8. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

Ok, so we could classify you as the expert opinion then... Nice.
    Would i have to boil it for x minutes or just until it starts bubbling? Is there a speed aspect to this? Can i boil the water and let it sit for a few hours, then pour it in?
    Any ideas as to what is the best way to boil 80l of water? I might just have another go. Do you think there is anything to this "re-freezing", i haven't had any luck?
    Thanks for the diving. ;)

I might lift it today. It should be ready, the heatsink is still very warm though suggesting more freezing is needed. But who cares about the middle anyways?

9. fev

fev Industry Fallout

boiling 80l of water.. you'd have to do a couple of big pans on a stove and then accumulate the water somewhere where it's not going to get knocked around.

once the water has started boilding rapidly you should let it continue for about 3-5 minutes.

Then turn off the heat.

Allow it to stand for 5-7 minutes and then pour it slowly into where you want to freeze... try to avoid splashing etc as that only add's oxygen and then bubbles

10. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I think you're best of experimenting with a small amount of ice Vigfus so you can find out about the timing and such. I didn't have any luck with the re-freezing either. That ice cube with the fly in it was using refrozen water. Also I seem to get a lot of white crap in my water after it has melted. This appears to be limescale since I'm in a hard water area I even tried to filter this out using some yellow pages paper but the white bits remained.

Boiling it might work. Give it a go and see what happens. As for not freezing it too much that may be true but it may well be that MrWillyWonka's ice was not completely frozen all the way through and hence more transparent. It would be harder to not freeze 80l of water for longer than needed because it would take so long to freeze all the way through.

11. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

I might try this on a smaller scale first, on the ******* gameboy that wont freeze properly. :thumb:

12. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Reading about your 'problems' with non-transparent frozen ice made me think about some of the funky effects you can get when you freeze very pure water.

Ice spikes are particularly cool, http://www.cee.org/rsi/docs/2004Papers/lederer-samuel-caltech-both.pdf

I think you should try making some and take some pretty pictures, the examples in the paper aren't nearly as pretty as some I've seen.

p.s. if you take this to the other end of the scale and try to boil very pure water you make a bubble chamber, which is also very interesting!

[​IMG]
    (taken from http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/icespikes/icespikes.htm)

13. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

Oooh, pretty.
    Some cool effects can also be found when boiling pure water and then sticking a spoon, or whatever, in. As it has a higher boilingpoint than normal water it starts boiling when you stick something in it, dangerous btw.
    I saw it on mythbusters... Cool show.
    Will go get the CRT out now. Updates within the hour... :clap:
    Don't expect too much though, my hopes are pretty much set on a very non-clear pice of ice...

Edit: Preliminary update: :eeek: :grr: :duh: :hehe:

Current progress:
    [​IMG]

It seems to be stuck...
    [​IMG]

Not to worry, there is lots of space on the other side, if 1cm is lots... It just seems to have stuck to the wall as i didn't prepare the sides for this event, only the bottom. If i try to lift it, i lift the whole freezer. :D

I have taken all the other stuff out of the freezer and shut it off. Will also pour some water along the side to melt the ice... BRB

Edit2: An hour isn't a long time apparently... It's up and hanging right now. Will post pics of the cause of this and how it turned out sometime this evening.

Edit3: Wohoo, piccies, soon i mean need to pick some out. The delay is mainly because i got lost in the funnies i found online i like this one, is there a thread for this cind of stuff? Cant be arsed to search right now...

Last edited: 3 Sep 2005
  14. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

Oooo!!! Sweet!!! XD Im freezing an hd.... and the ice hates me. :(

15. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

Feast your eyes on these, a select few will be added in all their 5mpix glory. Requestline is open.

Edit:
    I had some problems getting the block out. At first i thought this was because of the fact the box had split open. Not so. Apparently there was lots of water accumulated in the "diaper" i had made for the box. As there is no unwanted ice inside the box there can't have been any leaks. Condensation must be responsible...
    The sequence of events unfolded as follows: I see the broken box, :duh: :grr: :waah:, i try to lift it, i realise i'm lifting the whole freezer, :wallbash:, i hook both liftinghoops on the inner side, it breaks free, i start lifting, :grr:, i break out the hairdryer to remove some offending ice, i get it up to the rim of the freezer, the block catches on the plastic trim, i stick a flat screwdriver inbetween, pop, it's loose. Not done yet... It catches again, on the ice in the "diaper", some well positioned punches later and it's free! Slider works perfectly BTW.

[​IMG]

This is why it wouldn't go out easily:
    [​IMG]

And inside the "diaper", more ice:
    [​IMG]
    That curvature of the bottom is no camera trick, that's the real thing...

The damage to the rather poorly constructed box (the material used would only let me put 4-6 screws in two of the joints, in one i only put two, even though i know how strong ice is ( :duh: )):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The icebottom let me slide it along the ground much more easily than before. Nice bonus. :)
    [​IMG]

(after editing i wasn't allowed all the pics in the same post, i made the cut here so the opening of the box came first in the next post (soon to come))

Last edited: 4 Sep 2005
  16. SHAKIRALOVER

LOL and there she is.

17. CraZy

CraZy Cöstom úser tætel

:rock: one weeks work,brilliant :thumb:

18. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

well after all that theres only one thing left to do.

POWER IT UP!!! :D :hehe:

19. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

:clap: Im in awe! You r0x0r!!

20. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

Edited my last post and made this:

[​IMG]
    I'll let one slip through, it's very ambigous anyways... :)

[​IMG]
    A "kartongsäck" is a hevy duty plastic bag, perfect for this

I'm already dissapointed:
    [​IMG]

In case you didn't spot it, this is loose:
    [​IMG]

The front is actually a little better than i expected, still bad though...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    - Hey, WTF are you doing? Oooh, watercooler, thanks. *Shlurp*

How the camera sees it (with flash):
    [​IMG]
    This is the best side to get a clear view inside.

Very close to how i see it:
    [​IMG]

He he, i made it melt:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I tried to melt the bubbles away and fill the void with water:
    [​IMG]
    Didn't work very well, did it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Few hours later:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is there a specific angle you wanna see? Chances are i got that covered. Just ask...

Interest seems to be waining... Too bad. I posted a link to this thread on sweclockers.com, i immediately got some nice responses, the day after it was on page three. :(

I'll be playing some games now... The big pictures might be up later...

Last edited: 4 Sep 2005