1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning The GuilleAcoustic design thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GuilleAcoustic, 23 Mar 2011.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The surface of the frame is approx 1/2m² (980 x 380mm) and every sheet is 6/10mm. So you'll need 8 sheets à 1m². That's not too expensive then actually. Only some €50.

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

That's perfect. I think I'll go by them a sheet or two to practice a little. Laminate will be a very first time for me :D.

Did you see my bended top tabs idea about your screwless idea on my previous post ? What do you think of it ?

[​IMG]

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The tabs would be needed to be bend this way for additional "grip".

[​IMG]

You wanna make sure that the material can withstand the pressure tho.

4. GuilleAcoustic

This is the same way, but the viewing angle is quite confusing on my export :D.

About the material ..... I'll have to bench it I guess :lol:. Again, thanks a lot for your help and for following my humble thread.

5. GuilleAcoustic

Started to work on the aluminium tray :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made the mesh design more simple and I think it is a lot better that way (thanks JRS77) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. GuilleAcoustic

Just a minor update to keep you informed. I have contacted a veneer provider and will a price and delay for the material.

I have great hope to start building the thing in January (not much time available with my work until mid December).

I have to find a nice name for it, Simplicity is already taken :D. As I trully Su** at finding names, all suggestion are wecolmed.

7. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Those are some really nice renders as well!
    :) what are you guys using?

damn i wish i had that much skill.. truely looking forward to seeing the outcome!

8. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks, but that is just a Sketchup 2D export (with simple shadows), nothing fancy. Real renders will be made using mentalRay. But thanks for your kind words :D

9. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Looks wonderful. There's still something bothering me about the PSU though...

10. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks Raz ... the PSU, well, they are always bothering me, never know what to do with them .... I'd like them to be external and hidden :D

Tell me what is bothering you. Is this the fact it is visible ?

11. GuilleAcoustic

Just got the price for the price for the wood veneer. Wide sheets are a lot more expensive.

Originaly, veneer are available in approximately 15cm wide @ around 5€ per square meter for.the wood I was looking for. For wider veneer, they have to join and glue veneer laminate on a sheet of paper, rising the price to over 20€ per square meter.

I'll have to rethink my design to use narrower bended laminate connected together .... or to not use bended wood at all .... or something else I have in mind that would require some routing and three parts

12. asura

asura jack of all trades

I'd have thought 3ply sheets of plywood would have done; normally the ply thickness is 1.5mm so three sheets of 3ply will come out at 13.5mm, a little thicker than you were hoping for, but I wouldn't trust to just two sheets (9mm) to hold the form, you may need to soak the wood overnight to get it to produce the radii that you're aiming for, but it should be possible without too much effort.

If the finish of the wood isn't a high enough quality (the cross grains make it look a bit rustic) then it can easily be veneered with whatever wood you choose - I favour a light oak and with dark smoked acrylic...

13. GuilleAcoustic

Thank you for the informations. I'll have to give it a try. I'll design the 3 other outer shell I have in mind just to be sure I go with the one I like the most.

14. GuilleAcoustic

Will make another few research about wood bending. This will be a first time for me and since I won't have the time to start this before January ....

I'll try to make a quick design if the other solutions during my king break today, maybe a poll will be created then :)

15. GuilleAcoustic

Here is my today's work and a solution if bending does not work the way I want after my experiments.

I've ketp the wood and plexi theme, the mobo + fan tray and the suspended hardware look. I only got rid of the bended wood. The back is still completly opened, but I now use 3x AP141 as intake fans (no grill designed yet, only a rectangle cut). It is different but I like it.

What do you all think of this design ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'd go without the baseplate and use the corner-colums as feet. And maybe I'd do the whole thing even more open.

17. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks for the input. I'll give it more opening then and remove the baseplate. Maybe I can make the fan holder lighter, giving the feeling that they are not hold into place.

18. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

This is a great idea, it would be ideal after the faffing ive just done with the thumbscrews!

19. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Leightweight as possible. The wood is 13x13mm and the plexi is only 3mm.

You just need to think about the mounting for the PSU and the HDDs. The mainbordtray is fixed to the wooden frame with only some 6 screws (top front/back, bottom front). 1.5mm aluminum is rigid enough whne theres some bending involved, etc...

[​IMG]

20. GuilleAcoustic

Great, it has a kind of japanese touch :thumb:. I like it a lot. Maybe I should replace the plexi with some japanese inspired wood patterns (but keeping the rail system). Something like the wooden outer frame of the Yuugou by Greensabbath : http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2007/04/23/yuugou_by_greensabbath/13

[​IMG]