1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete The Monarch

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by LickenMicks, 4 Sep 2019.

1. LickenMicks

LickenMicks New Member

My previous builds have been named after animals. As in I build them and it reminds of this animal so that's its name. But I decided to go all out with my first water cooled PC and also scratch build it. So sketched.

[​IMG]

Then I rendered (kinda, I'm definitely a beginner)

[​IMG]

Then I built. It's mostly fabricated out of 1/8" aluminum sheet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I built the wings out of poly carbonate (scrap from work, I paint for a sign company)

[​IMG]

And then I painted the main case with a marble and candy paint job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a wall mount that I didn't build "desktop" feet for so it sat on my office couch for a while during the build process. Here is a final leak test. Later on first boot found the GPU was defective and had to wait a few weeks to receive it back after an RMA.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the "front" I/O. This was a pain to cut out and I wish I had planned it out more and CNC'd all the holes. But I had to learn the hard way and every hole in this case is routed out by hand because i thought it would be easier this way. HA!

[​IMG]

And finally, the finished product!

[​IMG]

With the PC and RGB on.

[​IMG]

The wings are both etched on the backside with a jewelry sand blaster (think airbrush that shoots baking soda instead of paint) and lit from the edge under the aluminum embellishments. Then the top wing got a couple layers of tinted clear coat. The bottom wing was covered on the whole backside with a white vinyl, then I used pearl mid-coat on the front to almost hide the etching. The effect turned out better than I could have imagined! I will be making a video on how to do this, but not sure how soon.

The final specs:

ASUS ROG X470-F Gaming MoBo
    Ryzen 7 3700X
    MSI RTX 2080 Seahawk EK X
    500GB WD SN750 NVMe boot drive
    2 x 2TB WD Black HDD in Raid- 0
    Silverstone 800 watt SFX PSU
    HardwareLabs 420 Radiator
    Misc. water cooling parts (EK, Alphacool, Bitspower, Thermaltake)

Cheapskate likes this.
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Fantastic results. :clap: The paint work is awesome.
    Thanks for sharing, and welcome to Bit-Tech.
    -Free paint and plastic? :worried: I missed my true calling.

3. LickenMicks

LickenMicks New Member

Thanks! A lot of great work on this forum! Excited to be a part of it!

For the most part. Lol. It would have taken a lot longer if I hadn't had access to the shop. Took me about 6 months of staying after here and there.