1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding The One Week Uber Project

Discussion in 'Modding' started by malcs, 25 Nov 2003.

1. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

Stealthy :D

I think the render in the first post looks really nice, very simple and not overdone - hope that makes sense.

Good luck, looking forward to pics of the build and finished article :lol:

Darkside.

2. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

i do really like the look of that case. if you can, give it little legs and put some glow underneath. also, i assume that's a vandal-proof-ring-light-switch on the top - if so, that'll be great!

good luck, and let us know how it's going...

3. bHawk

bHawk What's a Dremel?

Very nice design. I have to agree with everyone else here though: keep it as seemless and simple as possible. Subtleness is the key.

I love the stealthed back, i might have to do something similare to my case.

4. Cipher_UK

Cipher_UK What's a Dremel?

Looks great.

If you are planning to use a VIA mini itx board you may find that there is no floppy connection anyway!

5. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

:( i hate floppys.. leave them alone now :D i have made a frame today and got a piece of pearl-white perspex to put over the top, underneath the 1CM thick clear perspex which will go over the top... i also found out that the pearl-white stuff will let through some light... which is GOOD because it means that i can have just a small blue ring underneath it, and a featureless top, apart from mebbe a small etched dot in the middle over the touch field :D

6. MaxWiz

MaxWiz What's a Dremel?

Very sweet looking case.

I know what you mean about a touch switch, would keep it looking clean. If you can't afford one and don't have time to make one how about this for a suggestion.

Get a magnet switch from b&q, they are used in house alarm systems to detect windows opening etc. Then use a little key fob with a magnet in to activate the switch :)

Oh and if you want a ready made model of the P4 mini-itx mobo, just let me know. I modelled one in Rhino, but I am sure I can export it to 3dMax. It done to scale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Max

Last edited: 27 Nov 2003
  7. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

looks really nice
    hows it coming along?
    you starting building yet?

8. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

MaxWiz >> i´d really like to get my hands on that model... i can import it to SolidWorks and maybe then get it into Sketchup...

9. malcs

@maxwiz yeah i want that too....

@everyone else...

I have started the build and have a nice aluminium frame.. its really nice i have to find my cam and get my server working again at home tho or get some signal on my phone so i can upload it... dont worry ill have it up by the end of the day its a pretty crappy pic though :( but you can see what is happening at least :D

10. malcs

OK i uploaded this off my phone just now scuse the "redness" and the bad quality you can see what i have done so far tho...

[​IMG]

11. MaxWiz

MaxWiz What's a Dremel?

malcs - looks like a good start. Had a thought about a base. Someone suggested 'feet', how about a sheet of clear acrylic for the bottom, lit with subtle blue. Could even try that pearly stuff if it would give a glow around the edges.

What did you think about the magnet idea? Worried about loosing the fob ;)

So I don't high-jack I have posted about the mobo model (and others) in the Sketchup components thread.

Max

12. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

Yeah, i agree completly with maxwiz, you should have a bottom plexi piece lit blue. very diffused though.

btw good luck, i cant wait to see this thing done!

13. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

Really liking the look of this case..

So when have you got to get it finished by??

Are you going to bevel the edges on the top like you did on your model??? I've got to see that.

Are the side made out of the same material as the top? I think with it all being pearl-white perspex , It will glow nicely...MMMMmmm Glowie cube(me drooling now )

Can't wait to see more updates... :D

14. malcs

actually that is such a good idea cyberbob im seriously thinking of that now :D also maxwiz :) i had that idea too i think that i will bevel it slightly as well so it looks like a plinth :) would be well cool :D

15. steff79

steff79 What's a Dremel?

The render looks very nice... i can't wait to see to your project moving on...

I think think it would be impressiv to get a wc-system in that small space (I know what I'm talking about ;))

So... rock on :dremel:

16. Shoobie

Shoobie What's a Dremel?

It's been a little over a week. Did you meet your deadline? The renderings were very cool, I'd like to see this one finished.

17. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

i m growin with curiosity to seein what s happend with this...
    so...what has?

18. x3r0

x3r0 What's a Dremel?

me to :)
    has the one week uber project turned into the one month uber project :p

19. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

the way its going i think we should call it the one year (kinda)uber project!
    Please take no offense malcs, just kidding

20. ShagBeard

ShagBeard What's a Dremel?

i like this idea. i dont really like the etching on top. maybe rig the switch so its really dim but still on when the computer is off and then lights up normall when on? i dunno.

but hey were did you manage to get pearl white perspex? i gotta get a hold of some of that.