1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The ongoing AMD v Intel thread

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 28 Jun 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Woah! Go AMD!
    This could indeed be a huge shakeup in the market IF AMD win. Keep us posted on any developments :D

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Hmm... wonder if that includes dell. Surely they're aware that their xps's suck for gaming relative to an AMD proc of the same price (although by my understanding, it's Dell's own choice)

I wonder what this will do to pricing in the long run...

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Don't Dell get v cheap cpu's from Intel? Think they basically priced AMD out of the equation...

5. koola

koola Minimodder

About time Intel got what was coming to them!

6. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

Good for AMD and the consumer - I hope they win. And of course I also hope someone screws Micheal Dell up the arse, and not in a good way.

7. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

If true thats going to cost intel and whooooole heap of cashola!

Seeing as they've proved it in japan already it can't be that much harder to prove the case in the US, mind you I expect Intel to put a much harder fight on their own turf.

8. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

This is a great start.... of something much bigger. But I do understand Intel. Since last summer I've only met one guy who would buy Intel over AMD. However he doesn't do gaming, nor video encoding, no big software thus he doesn't need a new PC, he's using INTEL CELERON 533MHz. =) However during that time I've built 2 AMD machines for my friends/family and seen about 8 friends buy AMD 64's... Consumers who know more than buying from Dell buy AMD. INtel's sales are very much limited to companies and hence they are trying in all ways to stay in the play area.

9. John Cena

John Cena What's a Dremel?

I think this is absurd. This whole "fair" trade act is bs. In the buisness world, you going to have to rip off, outsell, buy out other companies to stay alive. If anything, AMD should learn from Intel

10. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Wil has a law degree!? :)

Go AMD...monopolistic practices ARE harmful, and I think AMD can win this if they're careful. On the other hand, antitrust are some of the most difficult laws to prove, and they will have a HUGE burden. If they win, it will also open up some government litigation, one can be assured. The FTC sharks love the smell of blood...

11. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

Go AMD kick intel's ass :rock: :baby: , it's blatently been monopolising for years. :grr:

12. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

if i was the owner of intel i'll say ****

13. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

We watch and wait. Knowing these cases though they always seem to take a lifetime to finish so it might be for a while yet.

14. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Im going to have to play devils advocate on this one. If manfactures dont want to use their chips thats up to them (even if they are taking bribes). If anything they should go after the computer makers for accepting the bribes. OMG big companies dont have morals?!?! Welcome to the business world AMD.

15. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Eh, I agree with you to a point, Haddy. But as AMD mention in their open letter, with smaller or more companies, this could just be business practices. When you own 90% of market share, though, it becomes stifling. Would you like it if AMD just closed up shop? We owe them for bringing 64bit to desktops that actually has legacy, as well as a bunch of other innovations. How many other fledgelings that could have shown similar potential have already been eradicated by these business treatments?

The Clayton and Sherman acts specifically prevents tying arrangements and certain business quotas, of which some of these "business policies" qualify.

16. RTT

RTT #parp

From Oxford, no less ;)

17. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

AWESOME!

So does he have a REAL job? :) (Sorry, Wil...not that BT isn't a real job!!!)

18. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

:thumb: Go AMD! All my mates have AMD processors, we know what we're talking about. AMDs are simply much better CPUs no questions down. However, I've got this feeling that Intel might bullsh*t their way out of this one. We're talking multi-million (billion?) dollar damages here!

It will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

19. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

I'm rooting for AMD y0! :rock:

I wonder if the apple moving to intel, had any relation?

lets have a poll.

Go amd

Go Intel

Last edited: 28 Jun 2005
  20. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Sounds like they have a legitimate case, Intel has to be underhanded to sell thier crappy processors and AMD wont stand for it. I hope Intel goes down in flames in court.

Tags: Add Tags