1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the rarest thing in video games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 17 Jul 2008.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

ok, so i was browsing ebay looking for rare stuff and i was wondering: what is the rarest thing in video games? could be an item, a random appearance in a game, maybe even the rarest actual hard copy of a video game or console.

this isn't going to be a great one from me, but i'll say the Zod rune from diablo 2. it is literally like winning the lottery if you get one drop in the game.

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

It'll be some stupid phat loot in WoW. M'eh.

3. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Original copies of Pteroglider? given if i remember right they say they only sold 13 ;).

Getting up the beach on d-day in the first try on the original call of duty?

4. Dave Penguin

Dave Penguin O hai.

I remember reading somewhere once that it's something like a 1 in 140,000 chance that it's dropped.

I wonder how many people have played for hours and hours and hours just to put three in the cube to see what happens?

5. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

rarest NES games

As for actual in-game items? Not a clue. I'd like to know what people come up with though

6. CardJoe

Probably something from Castlevania too. Some of the items there are like 1:250000 chance of droppage.

7. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

getting attacked with pandora's box twice in ff7?

8. thomascirca

thomascirca What's a Dremel?

hmmm.... off the top of my head the gold cart edition of track and field world championships is pretty rare, there was only a few known copies. as for in game? the castlevania items are pretty rare. i would say it's probably something from WOW, there's all sorts of weird stuff going on in that game. beating S.T.A.L.K.E.R. without that weird glitch at the end is pretty rare too.

oh, I just remembered! the rarest of all is the sword of a thousand truths, that's the rarest of the rare!

Last edited: 17 Jul 2008
  9. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

These days, Gameplay :D

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

muhahaha :D

11. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

haha! too right! gotta love south park

i was wondering how long it would be before someone said it! i was thinking the same thing when i posted!

12. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

artistic/literary merit.

let the flames begin :D

13. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Naked men. ;)

14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

They're going to loose a lot of demographic if that happens :p

15. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

hehe, yeh you're asking for a flaming really! gotta say, jsut did a load of reading up on bioshock. for all it's flaws, the story is really great, really really great, deep meaningful stuff full of artistic/literary merit!

16. Fod

no it isn't. it's a decently-written story for sure, but if you're going to say that the game can stand against a cinematic great and come off fine, then you're deeply mistaken. Bioshock also happens to represent the pinnacle of game storytelling at the moment, so even if i were to concede that it could tell a good story (and yes, it does, but it's by no means as good as any book i've read recently), that's still a VERY rare thing!

as for deeply meaningful, the only thing i saw it doing was rehash some pretty old philosophical arguments.

i like games. i like them a LOT. but they should stick to doing what they do well - and as a narrative medium they suck. (i'm aware i've muddied the argument somewhat by combining artistic merit with narrative ability)

17. CardJoe

I think that storytelling in games and storytelling in books, cinema etc are grossly different. You can't really compare a book to a comic, nor can you compare a game to a film. In my opinion, giving players an option to actively explore the story and world at their own pace and in a direct way is equally important. To imply that all games are trying to move towards awesome storytelling as an ultimate goal is a bit flawed too - games as a medium aren't purely about telling story, but about enjoyable interactive experiences.

Have we had a Great Expectations in game form yet? No, obviously - but there are some significant steps out there, though they are rare. Games like Deus Ex do DEFINITELY show themselves to be a pinnacle of storytelling in a true sense as you have an ability to explore some brand new ideas about morals and the corruption of power in a direct fashion, with the gameplay often working against you to highlight your own contradictions in ways that are clear, but hardly noticeable.

I remember watching a friend play Deus Ex once. I had explained the premise and he, as a political nonce, went off on a rant about soldiers who blindly serve and how power absolutely corrupts and how consolidation of power is bad. Then, without even thinking about it, he charged straight in and started capping NSF terrorists/freedom fighters left, right and centre. It wasn't until he got to Gunther Hermann, who congratulated him on his bloodthirstiness, that it suddenly dawned on him how the context of the game had forced him immediately into contradicting his own beliefs.

18. Fod

yeah fair enough. there are some games out there (as i've already said) that tell a pretty good story. but as an art form, i think they they have far more potential as almost abstract interactive experiences. stuff like passage can make a player feel something without really having a story in the traditional sense, and incorporate pretty solid gameplay mechanics too.

anyway - the question is what's rare in games. my point stands :D

19. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

A collection of EVERY single NES/Famicom game and accessory?

20. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

I think the first person who clicked on one of the wildlife in starcraft ~15 times in a row, just to hear the noises it makes, and then have it detonate with the power of a nuclear bomb, probably felt pretty special.