1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The Razer Blade

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by NuTech, 26 Aug 2011.

1. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Well, here it is...

[​IMG]

Specs:

Price/Release:
    Sources:
    Engadget (video), Ars Technica

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Aug 2011
  2. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

I checked the sources but any idea who's actually manufacturing it?
    Pretty sleek, but it better be for that price. And what is that, a small secondary LCD by the keyboard?!

3. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

WANT!
    Its the switchblades big brother!

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

That's an anodized black Mac chassis/battery with OLED keys and a capacitive touchscreen trackpad. Nice combo, but I'll keep my spider.

5. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

I was expecting something more, to be honest. Something affordable to attract console gamers.

Ah well, back to my PC

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I will give it due credit: it's extremely pretty and has a beautiful ID with a interesting +1 keyboard. However..

"PC Gaming is not dead" then a machine with 96 shaders? What settings can you run on its native HD res - med/low at no AA?

Making it thin just makes it pretty, small actually makes it portable. You could buy a Vaio-Z w/ 6650M (480 shaders) for that money and it would be just as fast, just as thin and genuinely portable.

7. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Yeah it's not exactly hard core gaming is it...

What I said the other day about buying Razer products because of that ad, scrap that.

Idiots...

"We're fighting back Consoles! Here's a laptop type thing for £2000 that isn't actually that good at gaming!"

8. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Totally agree, it's not the incredible, game-changing thing i was expecting.

That said, if i had the money i'd probably have one lol

9. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

$2,799? That's about £2,800 after conversion and tax - a hell of a lot of money for a laptop crotch warmer/sterility enhancer which will most likely have around 30 minutes battery life if you're lucky.

As others have pointed out, 96 shaders is just a bit "Meh!" Medium/low settings for decent framerate are most likely.

Then again, the positioning of the touch pad is just right, off the side where it's not in the way of the keyboard. Programmable macro keys above it? Looks useful. Adaptive display as well? F*ckin' A! The styling of it beats the snot out of anything Alienware have ever produced and the form factor is seriously sweet. Drop the price, beef up the GPU and they may be on to a winner.

I still want one but there's no way I can afford that sort of money. Short of winning the lottery anyway.

Hmm, how much does a kidney go for again? I do have a spare... :p

@ Zinfandel: A touch harsh mate. Razer still produce some seriously nice peripherals for the PC that are generally worth what they charge. PC is still their primary focus, unlike others who've jumped entirely on to the console bandwagon. Do I like the "part the gullible from their cash" branded lines? Nope, not a bit. Would I still buy a mouse from them or a keyboard if it met my requirements? Hell yes! I haven't tried the audio kit they do (got Harman/Kardon and Zalman, why do I need Razer?) but you'll never see a Logitech mouse on my desk, Razer all the way (Imperator at the mo - being able to put the buttons where you can reach them is a bonus for those of us without ham hands! Shame it doesn't glow purple to match the keyboard). The ad was stupid, puerile and totally unnecessary but what else do you expect out of the coloured pencil office? They're so far divorced from the mentality of the people they're trying to sell to that they'll rarely, if ever, get it right.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Please excuse me while I lose bladder control from excessive laughter.

11. Brooksie

Brooksie What's a Dremel?

For the money an Alienware would be better.
    This is probably the only laptop that makes an Alienware look like good value!

12. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

the blade is quite wide, but its also about half the weight of your average gaming laptop, which seems to be one of their big selling points. even the power brick is minuscule compared to standard laptop bricks.

EDIT: but i agree with most that its crazy over priced for what your getting. but at the same rate, the CEO of razor pretty much said they didnt plan on moving a lot of units. they just wanted to fill the gap between hardcore gaming laptops and standard notebooks.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

But weight alone isn't ever the only consideration of a portable object though. ;)

Plus how many PC gamers bung their full towers into cars and bring them to LANs? Most do in the i-series I've seen.

14. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

no but low weight and low profile is a big step in the right direction to a portable gaming machine.

i think its an interesting machine. just like any other machine its a compromise, but one we havnt quite seen before. innovation is a good thing even if it flops horribly :)

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Never been to a big LAN, but I'm more than happy tossing my fairly large HAF 922 and one of my monitors into the back seat of my car and driving off to a basement LAN for the weekend.

Need a portable gaming machine? Drill some holes in the roof of your case and mount a couple handles. :thumb:

Guest-16 likes this.
  16. Sharpiemwt

Sharpiemwt What's a Dremel?

It looks impressive but the price tag is out of this world! I'd sooner stick to lugging a full tower around for LAN's.