1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Columns The sky is falling

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Feb 2008.

1. trellick

trellick What's a Dremel?

Sorry to be picky, but the person to whom the "Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics" quote should be correctly attributed to is Benjamin Disraeli, British PM.

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

Hi and welcome to the forums.

You are correct that the phrase was originally coined by Benjamin Disraeli, but the phrase was popularised in the US by Samuel Clemens (aka Mark Twain) and that's more than likely where Brett first heard the saying (being a US citizen). :)

3. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Wow! The things I never knew. I researched the quote via a few avenues, and never saw that! Likely it's who truly 'popularised' it - Twain had it in one of his books, so I figure that's probably why the mislabeling. It's probably a lot like "oh what tangled webs," which is so often attributed to Shakespeare when it was actually Sir Walter Scott.

Ah well, live and learn - sorry about that!

4. jamespatrick

jamespatrick What's a Dremel?

I agree with a lot of what you said. Some of the greatest games ever made were created by a couple people. In fact i'd say over 90% of them.

I am one of the few PC gamers for life i think. Crysis did go platinum with a million sold. I'd like for information on that statistic but I'm happy that many people were able to experience that game regardless.

I think one of the reasons PC games are on the down is the lifespan of old games though to. I know people who still play Counterstrike and thats it, as well as Baldurs Gate 2, and Neverwinter Nights and are happy with that and the MODs availible that are out there and keep getting made.

Tags: Add Tags