1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate Motherboard: Initial design V15

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RotoSequence, 3 Dec 2005.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

A CMOS reset switch. that's what it needs! :)

2. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

Serial Port on back pannel, attached by Mobo header...like the parrelel, for people who need internal Serial LCDs!

3. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Version 0.10 Has been posted; Theres not much left to do now until the last components are completely modeled and located; the biggest change in this version is the inclusion of eight phase power regulation. Any (plausible please ;)) good ideas guys? Youve given me a lot of good ones as it is :)

4. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

You need to update your sig :thumb:

5. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

6. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

M2 support

7. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Its lookin better. I still think that the floppy should be flat on the board like on my ASUS, it makes it look less noticeable.

8. NoMercy

NoMercy What's a Dremel?

I've been tempted, but there's too many downsides, still with AM2 being universal for Semperon and 64's and X2's, the'll bound to be a pile of nice small boards for fitting into oddly shaped mods :)

9. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

Please, please, please make one of the PCI slots a PCI-X slot. Most good PCI cards will run in PCI-X slots anyway.

My LSI MegaRAID SATA2 RAID controller doesn't work in standard 33MHz PCI slots :'(

10. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I still wonder what you're leaving serial and parallel, and to a lesser extent, PS/2 on this thing for. I can't think of anyone using anything serial or parallel except a few people that have programmers on it, and with USB LCDs the serial VFD argument is negated. I already turn off everything in the BIOS I'm not using, and throw away all the serial/parallel headers that come with my newer boards. I'd love to get something I can USE, not more legacy bull. Hell, I'd love to see the floppy connector gone forever too. I haven't used one in years, literally-may have been 2003 the last time I did. IF you need to install F6 drivers, why not let people use a USB key like a few other people are.

Seriously, someone please tell me a good use for those ports...

11. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

erm...because tonnes of people have serial and parallel lcds.....

yes that are legacy...but people still use them...and if people in this thread have suggested them then i think they should go in...

12. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Oh I forgot, we are designing a board only for you, not the other people that still use the legacy connectors. Yeah, don't mind me, I'm on a tight budget and I have to throw away my scanner, the cable that connects (via serial) to my graphic calc, my older -but not useless- printer,... And don't mind my online banking account, wich uses a floppy disk as authentification... /sarcasm

I do believe in the term backwards compatible...

13. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

Serial port is a must. High end network gear still uses serial port connection, and I quite like being able to actually access my Cisco router :p (The lack of such a port is a really suckage aspect of the DFI SLI-DR).

14. tigger69

tigger69 What's a Dremel?

what about a plug in module that shows the hardware monitor values from the bios,possibly even on the fly bios clocking.you could adjust voltages from within the bios in windows or from a hardware panel as above.

15. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

and i forgot to mention...I have a graphic calc link cable which uses serial...i have a floppy drive mounted internally (cant see it from the outside) as i dont use it often, but i do occasionally...i have parrallel LCD, and i use the parallel port for dev too.

16. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

you don't nessecarily need serial on the backplate... but you could at least throw a header on there somewhere.

17. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Well then I learned some uses.

At least you had some good justification. For myself-who needs them, but it's evident that there are uses still...

18. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

My mobo could boot from the card reader If win xp would let it. To install the sata or raid drivers win xp requires a floppy, this is true for xp home sp2 and xp 64 pro, it would be wonderful if it would work from a flash drive but xp is terrible for that. I had to use a name brand floppy to install my sata, my off brand wasnt satisifactry.

19. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Just have those damn ports on headers. No sense in wasting the space we could have used for something else if we dont need it.

20. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Serial will be on header. Parallel will exist on the backpanel. Ill be posting a new version soon.