1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The worlds finest musicians of our time?

Discussion in 'General' started by mikedeere, 11 Jan 2005.

1. mikedeere

mikedeere What's a Dremel?

Dream Theater. Those two words alone are enough to send tremors of excitement down many a mans spine. Compositions that make the tiniest of hairs stand to attention in a salute to the sheer perfection in music that is Dream Theater.

For those of you who've not heard of them let alone heard them, these guys take their modern style of prog rock to phenomenal heights with musical perfection in writing, composition and performance well up there with the finest of classical composers.

Who else listens to them? :D :rock:

2. penski

penski BodMod

There are a lot of far better bands out there, to be honest.

Please use size=1 tags in your sig.

*n

3. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Are you their publicist?

<A88>

4. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Get out of my head.

5. dgb

dgb What's a Dremel?

Richie Hawtin...

6. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

dream theatre are a pretty great band... but there certainly not up there with the so called greats!

John Williams, Howard Shore, Nigel Kennedy, Vanessa Mae - These are the people who are really on the forefront of modern musicalness. Then there are a whole load of people who we will never hear about, great conductors, composers who wont get recognised for years to come.

Dream Theatre are great, but by no means the best!

7. dom_

dom_ --->

"Vanessa Mae"

Seriously man get your head checked NOW.

She is bloody awfull. Last time i heard her shite she was on album with some guy "rapping" along with her. It was so badly done.
    For starters her playing was so so.
    The electric violin sounds horrific.
    Where it was recorded added an echo to almost all voices/instruments. WHY?!?
    All other instruments where played off a midi keyboard by the sound of it. No other musicians around or real instruments.

Anyone who plays on an album like that needs killing. Let alone praise

8. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

WTF?!

Edit:We share the same birthday :p

<A88>

9. mikedeere

Wow, I start a topic about a band, and most of what I get back is irrelevant judgements... cheers :thumb:

10. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Lol welcome to bit-tech...

Tbh after listening to a few of their tracks on amazon, I can't say I think they're anything special, but they're clean and I'm sure people into that type of music will appreciate the more touched-up music they seem to do :)

<A88>

11. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

I would have to say Dream Theater are one of the most talented bands in metal. Just a shame Labries vocals can be somewhat annoying at times.

Portnoy is up there with the top drummers in metal. However, there are some very talented jazz drummers.

12. mikedeere

It's got to be said hats off to Jordan Rudess though, he's easily one of the finest keys players to have existed... anyone who has heard any of his random out of studio stuff or his solo track on 'Live at Budokan' will know what I mean. The man can improvise perfection in music... Crazy.

Portnoy... Amazing drummer by anyones standards. Although his style is somewhat an acquired taste.

LaBrie can have annoying vvocals at times, but to be honest you can't really complain about someone who can sing THAT well.

13. penski

penski BodMod

I just don't rate them that highly, I'm afraid.

With regards to drums, Si Hutchby is better for me.

Keys...He's good but he's no Thelonius Monk.

Bass sounds awful.

Vocals...could take them or leave them...

*n

14. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

Rumplestiltskin, nuf said.

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

To be honest, all music is opinion. You either like it or not. I don't think you can really judge on a band being the "best" simply because their writing skills/writers may not be able to create anything decent and technical enough that they cannot play, or even test them to their limits from time to time.
    If we wanted to say how good a band are, musically, we'd have to test what they can and can't play as far as immense pieces are conerned, both in sight-reading and in a piece which can be learnt in a specific time-frame.