1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thermal paste with C2D?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sniper_Grunt, 9 Dec 2006.

1. Sniper_Grunt

Sniper_Grunt What's a Dremel?

Looking at a youtube video of someone opening a lntel core 2 duo extreme quad processor, i saw no sign of any thermal paste. I am getting a (edit) core 2 e6600 for xmas :rock: however do i have to fork out for some Arctic silver 5 to go with it? :worried:

Last edited: 10 Dec 2006
  2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

There's paste on the stock sink. If you're using a third party sink then you'll need paste :)

3. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

You should use AS5 anyway though...

4. Sniper_Grunt

What's better about it? Yes it is a noobish question but this is the first processor I have ever brought on its own.

5. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Nah, if he's using the stock retail heat sink, then he should just apply it as-is. When it comes time to cleaning the heatsink in a few months, THEN would be a good time to apply some AS5.

6. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

some as5 is hardly goign to break the back compared to the core2 quad :hehe:
    but you will benefit from using it. more so if you use it with a good heatsink :thumb:

7. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

IF he gets a 3rd party heat sink, then yes, AS5 is the way to go. BUT if he goes with the standard heat sink, then there's no reasont to tamper with the TIM at this point.

8. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:D I agree, only remove the standard TIM if you really have to get that 1-2'C lower or if you had to remove the HS once you've booted it up. AS5 isn't the only option though, Ceramique is at least equal to it and often cheaper (plus there's plenty of other choices, like Cooler Master pastes for example).

9. Sniper_Grunt

Ok thanks