1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Think you're good at identifying scams? Try this!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

I got Bank of America wrong... the rest I got right though. :)

2. devdevil85

devdevil85 New Member

/\ If Tim misses one.....then I can't imagine how many I'm gonna miss....

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've never used Bank of America and I rarely use online banking these days since Phonebank is generally more convenient and I can speak to a real person if I want. Still... I didn't really bother reading the text very closely - I guess I should know better than that. :p

4. bloodcar

bloodcar Active Member

I missed a few because I didn't bother to click the images to look at the larger sizes. :blush:

5. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

10/10, but it was almost all in the grammar.

You're exactly right; I always check the address in the address bar as well as by hovering over some links, neither of which was possible in this test, and by typing the address in rather than clicking on a link. If I weren't expecting trouble I wouldn't look at the pages nearly as hard as I did during the test. It also helped that during the test I could look at fake and legit side-by-side.

6. ElZog

ElZog Defeater of Satan's Transformo Sofa

AOL i got wrong as I assumed asking for national insurance/social security info must be wrong.

Amazon also I got wrong as the fake site had all the same links at the bottom as amazon.com has for me when I visit, whereas the real one did not.

7. scq

scq New Member

10/10 on first.

The trick is to use EXTREME skepticism. I looked for odd, overly-long URLs, misspellings (yes, scammers from foreign countries sometimes forget their plurals!), and excessive requests for personal info.

8. RTT

RTT #parp

i am very proficient in internet(s)

9. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

LOL i got 8/10 but im happy coz most of the guys that r not perfect (yes, we'r only humans) missed on the same question... aMAZON!! lol riiight... they both looked pretty good to me and so i picked randomly. guess today not my lucky day.

question: all u guys that got 10/10, did u actually noticed the Amazon one or ur just lucky? come on now, spill the truth!! :)

the other one is the last one... the heck... yah i know its not perfect, but NEARLY all security certificate validated by the browser are valid anyway... so of course i pick yes! :p

ps: i finished that test in less than 2 minutes, im in the office right now. thats pretty darn good.

10. RTT

RTT #parp

Firstly I know what the amazon login looks like* (new/returning customer) but the biggest give away was the dodgy "Please log in with your username and password !"

the space between 'password' and '!' inparticular.

*if you think about it, why would a scam site want to offer you the chance to sign up on Amazon?

:)

11. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Active Member

Perfect 10 for me... Safety guru !
    Got the amazon one right, not from random choice.

12. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

10/10. But to be honest I probably would have thought some of those were genuine without the other site to compare it to.

13. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

9/10 missed the amazon one although didnt really go into much detail on most of them should have noticed the double drop down tho

14. Hamish

Hamish New Member

10/10
    had to do it twice cos the images stopped loading halfway through and had to do it in ie as it wouldnt work at all in firefox
    ironic really as its probably down to noscript blocking the **** out of the site :p

edit: i also picked the correct ones for different reasons
    no bank is going to ask you to confirm your identity by having you put in ALL of your details
    ie. everything someone needs to buy stuff on your card :\
    same with the aol one, yea im really going to give AOL all that personal information :p

15. Akava

Akava Lurking...

A rather suprising 10/10, nice little test though, nice reminder on what to look out for.

16. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Ok.. I really feel the need to point this out.

In nearly half of those websites, there were NO address bars. Anyone accessing ANY of those sites WILL have that. It isnt fair to show some with it, and others not. Unless your a AOL user with no sense at all. <-- Look at my username, thats what I think of aol.....

I got a 9/10, and the AOL site was "what got me".

17. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I got 7/10

I got the Bank of America wrong, Amazon and picked the wrong Nigerian number template.

Bank of america I was not sure about as I have never seen the real site before. There was not much in it to get Amazon wrong.

It would seem that everyone got the same ones wrong.

18. completemadness

completemadness New Member

8/10 here

However, i disagree with them on 1 of the questions

Yes they can manipulate it, however detecting scam sites is looking for many discrepancies, and adding them all up
    Checking the sender's name is like step #1 - OK the protection isn't great, but it will still filter out 10% of the emails

The other one that i got wrong was the bank of America one, that was pretty tough, but they had stolen the address bar, and Ive never even looked at the bank of America site (being English) so really you could have shown me anything and i wouldn't have known

OFC the best protection for banks and stuff, is simply not to ever put links in emails, if they want to send u a message, you can find the site yourself, links are just too vulnerable

19. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

grrr... the correct Amazon picture was missing a load of links that are on the Amazon home page :(

20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

6/10

But at least they showed why the fake ones weren't real and I think a few of us learned a few useful tricks :)

Tags: Add Tags